Law-breaking liquid defies the rules

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
Ok, I know this is old but it is intresting.

Physicists in France have discovered a liquid that "freezes" when it is heated. Marie Plazanet and colleagues at the Université Joseph Fourier and the Institut Laue-Langevin, both in Grenoble, found that a simple solution composed of two organic compounds becomes a solid when it is heated to temperatures between 45 and 75°C, and becomes a liquid when cooled again. The team says that hydrogen bonds are responsible for this novel behaviour (M Plazanet et al. 2004 J. Chem. Phys 121 5031).
http://physicsweb.org/articles/news/8/9/15/1

montpics

Errr, I'm still not an expert in Chemist..... :( :p

belmont

I study nuclear physics in the university here and I can tell you that there are many things unclarified yet.

This strange thing is explained by Quantum Mechanics.This area is only teached in university and covers what happens inside or "near" the atom where the Classical physics (Newton etc) we learn at school has errors.

donkeyknob

this is far too intelectual for 98% of the members here, including me becaues i cant even spell intelectual. just thinking about this gives me a headache

onewecallgod

i actually read the article and i actually kind of understand what it does lol. (yay for chemistry 1 class)