End Of The World

ScotchGuy

Board Addict
Excellent retort.

J

Jet Set Willy

No it didn't.

Hmm I cannot agree. IMHO the universe is expanding (outwards) and will continue to expand untill the matter totally scatters across the infinity of the universe.
We will cease to exist because the sun will become a red giant who-knows-how-many-million years from now. It will swallow the earth in it's dying breath and unless we flee to another planet - we are doomed.

You start off talking about the expansion of the Universe. You give no logical reason why expansion means that there will never be a reverse of the Big Bang idea. You may as well have said that your favourite clowns are green clowns.

You then said something entirely unrelated about the sun going boom. Why? What evidence suggests this? How can you be sure nothing else will happen first?

These statements are no less logical than what you've said:

* The great Ducklesnot will inject poison into the Earth's core.
* In the year 2007, people with "outey" belly buttons will explode killing everything within a 50 mile radius.
* Mice: Friend or foe? Apocalypse at noon.
* Ekky Thump St. Bungalows McBees

SladeXR

Because I didn't explain the logical reasons doesn't mean there are no logical reasons.

First off it was prooven by blue shift / red shift spectrum analysis that galaxies are moving away from us and each other (that's some logical proof that the universe is expanding).
The sun's nuclear power is limited. When it runs out of hydrogen fuel it won't be able to hold it's outer layers and they will start to expand. It has been proven that stars with mass approximately the same as the sun become red giants in the end of their lifes as stars (after that they become white dwarfs).

I don't have the time to explain further and as ScotchGay said - my English is bad, so if I find some articles regarding the shit above, I'll post them here.

J

Jet Set Willy

I didn't say the concepts had no logic. I said you're applying no logic to the situation, and you're not. You've still not given a reason for this being the probable cause of the end of the world. Sure, it can happen, but it may not be the probable cause. You're all just saying things. It seems a bit pointless.

SladeXR

I say realistic things that may cause Earth's death. Humanity can be long gone before sun's death though but I'm an optimist (after the end of the cold war) and I think that we will survive somehow to the point when the sun will expand.

ScotchGuy

Board Addict
WHAT?!

ScotchGuy

Board Addict
Attack of Turkatrons ensues.

Thinking of you, Waz. :wub:

Jale

You then said something entirely unrelated about the sun going boom. Why? What evidence suggests this? How can you be sure nothing else will happen first?

Every star dies and the sun is a big one, if you didn't know. And the theory SladeXR said is true, but it's a THEORY. It might or might not happen.

SladeXR

Yes my teory is realistic, Waz only tries to annoy people without reason.
There are so many end-of-the-world possibilities and many of them are absolutely logical and realistic, but no one could point the one that will actually cause the end of the world.

J

Jet Set Willy

Originally posted by JAPPsmash@Dec 8 2004, 01:12 PM

Every star dies and the sun is a big one, if you didn't know. And the theory SladeXR said is true, but it's a THEORY. It might or might not happen.
LISTEN *SMACK* TO *SMACK* ME *SMACK*

I am saying that you can't just say something will happen just because you think it will. Just because something can happen doesn't mean it will. I only brought this up, not because I wanted to moan at you, but because I was looking at a thread full of people saying "X will happen", not saying why or giving any basis, not understanding the source theory, but just spreading something they heard on a Discovery Channel special. It's ignorance.

Jale

Originally posted by Jet Set Willy+Dec 8 2004, 02:37 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Jet Set Willy @ Dec 8 2004, 02:37 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-JAPPsmash@Dec 8 2004, 01:12 PM

LISTEN *SMACK* TO *SMACK* ME *SMACK*

I am saying that you can't just say something will happen just because you think it will. Just because something can happen doesn't mean it will. I only brought this up, not because I wanted to moan at you, but because I was looking at a thread full of people saying "X will happen", not saying why or giving any basis, not understanding the source theory, but just spreading something they heard on a Discovery Channel special. It's ignorance.[/b][/quote]
I said IT MIGHT OR MIGHT NOT HAPPEN. One of those two :eek:

iLLisioN

End of the wolrd eh? Hopefully, we all wont have the opportunity of witnessing that.

Zidane

Social Hazzard
We are describing mostly massive universal wide destruction or the destruction of our civilizations.

Where are the theoies stranged, stretch, skewed, probable, or stupid about the end of earth alone. :huh:

Zach

omg omg I kno

we will suck all teh energiez from teh planetz lifestream and it will crumble !1111 :eek:

ScotchGuy

Board Addict
Greeks are fantastic with humor.