Console Sizes.

Jale

Spoiler »
consolesizes4re.jpg

Spoiler »
consolesizes25hu.jpg

Wii will be almost as small as a discman. Discuss.

Last edited:

onewecallgod

they must've run out of R&D funds. can't afford to make things look better, so they're making them smaller instead.

Zach

Not necesarrily a bad thing. I like small and compact consoles/dvd players/etc.

It would be cool to have a small box you front load like a CD player.. THough I imagine it would make boot discs all the more harder, heh..

Jale

Heh, GameCube was never a cube after all. All its sides have different sizes.

Zach

It was a rectangle. But not all its sides were different sizes, only "pairs". Otherwise it would never fit together.

alcoatjez

Capo di Tutti Capi
I think some console manufacturers...cough...M$...cough...really forgot the impact of a console's size. It seems that one of the reasons for many potential Japanese console buyers to not buy a Xbox has been that it was too big for them. They seem to like small consoles, since most of them have them in their living room...

-=VampyR=-

Immortal
alcoatjez said:
I think some console manufacturers...cough...M$...cough...really forgot the impact of a console's size. It seems that one of the reasons for many potential Japanese console buyers to not buy a Xbox has been that it was too big for them. They seem to like small consoles, since most of them have them in their living room...

Xbox didn't sell in Japan because it lacked their favorite game genre: RPG.
The fact that they are in love with their japanese consoles is another reason.

PS3 is BIG but I'll bet it will sell like bread in Japan...or at least sell triple than Xbox360 sales over there (which is a very easy task).

belmont

I don't care for the size of home consoles.
If you want a small console in size buy a handheld
(that's what I do anyway...)

alcoatjez

Capo di Tutti Capi
belmont said:
I don't care for the size of home consoles.
If you want a small console in size buy a handheld
(that's what I do anyway...)

I do care about the size. Since I am a console collector and my room is already to full with consoles, I like my new one small :)

Zach

As a collector your priority should be on the preservation of your collection, and giving it adequite space & care. Not collecting something because you think it is too big is.... Stupid.

What you should really be saying is, you like to cram all your stuff into as little space as possible, and thus you prefer small consoles. A true collector would not care about such trivial things as space. As a collector your collection would be boxed up nicely, or in nice display setups anyhow. Organizing you room in such a fashion shouldn't be too hard.

alcoatjez

Capo di Tutti Capi
Most of my consoles are boxed away, since my room really IS to small to display them all.
I mainly collect non-current generation consoles, which I have for collecting, not for playing. I have a current gen console for playing, which is the GC. You are right that I shouldn't make a decision on which console to buy based on size. It is just that I am very happy that the GC is so small, because I can nicely put it in the small space under my TV :)

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
I don’t like super tiny consoles. But I really hate the big ones. i.e. Xbox. I guess the impression It gives my is, well we don’t want to invest the money in to make its small, or can’t figure it out. Xbox has its place, but to me its always been an over bulky gaudy looking thing. Sure the size of a consol means very little about game play, but look what most of us do to are computer case. We all like a nice looking toys.

TheCreator

To be honest, console sizes really do not matter. Whether it's a Gamecube or slimline PS2 to an XBox and Dreamcast, they all stay connected to a TV, you don't handle them to play so there's no problem about discomfort. Unless you carrry your console to your mates house all the time, and even if that was so I still wouldn't mind carrying an XBox, I'm still happy with a PS3 the size of an old VCR. It's about function, not form!

cloud4004

Why do people make such a big deal about every little aspect of a consol? It seems to me that at the end of the day it's the games that matter.