MAME meaning

Daz

looking through the game list for mame i came across some games i'd like to download yet mame says in the rom description "THIS GAME DOESN"T WORK PROPERLY" i was wondering if this meant they don't work at all or that they'd crash at certain points. the games i'm interested in are:

• san francisco rush 2049
  • sonic the fighters
  • street fighter III 3rd strike: fight for the future
  • virtual on

so if these games work at all i'd like to know.

Also, i have strider 2 (ASIA 991213) and mame says that it's sound & video emulation isn't 100% complete. at random times throughout play the game will freeze or slowdown. is it because:
  • the rom isn't perfectly emulated
  • is mame not properly configured
  • my computer is not optimized to handle it
  • i need the parent rom

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
"sound & video emulation isn't 100% complete" means exactly what it says. The driver for the original arcade hardware has not been fully emulated yet so there will be plenty of video and sound glitches. If you really want to see the extent of those problems yourself you will need to run the game.

"THIS GAME DOESN"T WORK PROPERLY" can mean many things. street fighter III for example is based on CPS3 hardware which has strong encryption ammong other things. Regarding SF3 you can try the Dreamcast version with Chankast if you really don't want to wait for the arcade version.

Daz

so would the games i listed work at all? and how do i get strider 2 to work at optimal level or is it stuck like that because it's not fully emulated?

hagbard

You can kown which game doesn't work properly or at all, just look at the MAME32 (or derivate) status bar or at the game icon. Installing MameInfo should help too.

Strider 2 runs on ZN-2 hardware AFAIK, and MAME emulation focuses on accuracy above speed so it's normal that works slowly and the driver it's WIP. The random crashes are also documented as known bugs. You can try Zinc which emulates Strider 2 and other PSX hardware derivated boards pretty correctly and much faster

Last edited:

Daz

i already have zinc (cpzn2.zip) and i just downloaded sonic the fighters (schamp.zip). it has the usual mame warnings where it says type OK to go on and after that it shuts mame down. do i need the model2 bios/board.zip or something?

hagbard

I mean the Zinc emulator, not the ZN-1/2 BIOS.

Last edited:

Daz

oh ok. so what can you tell me about getting model2 (sonic the fighters, virtual on), vegas (rush 2049) and cps3 (3rd strike) games to work?

-=VampyR=-

Immortal
CPS 3 is not emulated,it'll take a while... :)

hagbard

Model 2 Games (Sonic the fighters, Virtual On), CPS-3 (SF III) or Atari Denver (SF Rush 2049) are currently not working, and I tell you again you can check this information by yourself on MAME32. Anyway Model 2 and Atari Denver (230Mhz CPU) would work very slowly if were emulated on MAME right now.

You can only play some Model 2 games (2B or 2C) on the Model 2 emulator by ElSemi.

Last edited:

hagbard

I agree. Btw I remember Raz told some time ago the encryption on the CPS-3 system look not as hard as CPS-2. I think the lack of interest, tech info (hradware specs), and of course the though protection will make this system unemulated for a long time.