• Welcome to the Submitted Content Forum. You may use this part of the message board to submit content for reviewing before it is posted at the main site.
    • Acceptable Material
      If it is a review it has to be one of a game or emulator.
      If it is a guide/manual it has to do with emulation(how to use an emulator etc), not a game.
      New releases - Keep in mind that we check other sites regularly for those ourselves.
    • Necessary Requirements
      You may not copy content written by another person and claim it as your own. Any material found to be breaking that requirement will be removed.
    • Images
      You may use as may images as you like. At first you will have to host them to one of the many free image hosting services available. Once your material is officially posted we will copy them on the server.

FRI for managing ROM libraries

Mavtak

I've been working on a program which I call FRI, the Fantastic Rom Indexer. The name is pretty lame, but what it does it cool. It takes all of your ROMs and all of your emulators, and allows you to search through your ROM library in one place, do quick title searches or advanced searches, and double-click on a ROM and have it just play. It also has other features like letting your rate ROMs, which is really useful for ROM libraries that are 95% "stuff that I just downloaded in a big RAR file".

Anyway, I have a download link and a tutorial on how to use it here: http://mypieceoftheinter.net/archives/310

I'd really appreciate some feedback. Feature requests, bug reports... name suggestions, whatever! :)

Hrothgar

I downloaded FRI and it opened fine. I wasn't until I tried to scan the rom folders that I got an error message

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.ArgumentException: The path is not of a legal form.
at System.IO.Path.NormalizePathFast(String path, Boolean fullCheck)
at System.IO.Path.GetFullPathInternal(String path)
at System.IO.DirectoryInfo..ctor(String path)
at RomDB.RomDatabase.getNewRoms()
at FRI.MainForm.scanForNewROMsToolStripMenuItem_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.RaiseEvent(Object key, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripMenuItem.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEventInteractive(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEvent(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.312 (rtmLHS.050727-3100)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
FRI
Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/Elliott/Desktop/E-Folder/Programs/FRI.exe
System.Windows.Forms
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Drawing
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System.Xml
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
System.Configuration
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

This program does appeal to me though. It's very user friendly, and I hope I can use it soon :D. I don't really have too many suggestions since I didn't get very far with it, but I think it would be neat if you had various skins for the program.

Last edited:

Mavtak

I downloaded FRI and it opened fine. I wasn't until I tried to scan the rom folders that I got an error message

[. . .]

This program does appeal to me though. It's very user friendly, and I hope I can use it soon :D. I don't really have too many suggestions since I didn't get very far with it, but I think it would be neat if you had various skins for the program.

I'm looking at the trying to figure out the problem right now. I have a few suspicions why my code may have failed. Will you give me the rom library path that you used, copied exactly? That would be really helpful.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Mavtak

Seems like it's been written in Java.

Yikes! I spent 2 years learning Java in school, and I've had enough of it. :(

I'm writing this program with C#. I greatly prefer it over Java, but it doesn't matter how good a programming language is if the code is wrong. :D I think I know what went wrong, but I'll know for sure when Hrothgar gives me more information.

Hrothgar

C:\Users\Elliott\Desktop\E-Folder\Games\Snes\Roms
C:\Users\Elliott\Desktop\E-Folder\Games\Atari 2600\ROMS
C:\Users\Elliott\Desktop\E-Folder\Games\Atari Jaguar\roms

Here you go.

Mavtak

C:\Users\Elliott\Desktop\E-Folder\Games\Snes\Roms
C:\Users\Elliott\Desktop\E-Folder\Games\Atari 2600\ROMS
C:\Users\Elliott\Desktop\E-Folder\Games\Atari Jaguar\roms

Here you go.

Augh! I don't see why there would be an error with those paths. Even though I don't know specifically why FRI crashed, I think improvements I have made might fix the problem.

The latest version of FRI is available here: http://mypieceoftheinter.net/projects/fri

Thanks for hanging with me.

Hrothgar

Scanning of roms worked this time :D. I've loaded games with FRI and that worked too. I've added Mame32 and that also worked. I added .a26 extension to the atari 2600 vocabulary and the scan found my roms. So far I haven't found any problems. This program is very easy to work with :).

I do have one suggestion. It would be nice to be able to organize the list by system or name of the roms. (Kind of like on Itunes you can organize by artist, genre, album, etc.)

I'm looking forward to seeing more of this program :D

Mavtak

Scanning of roms worked this time :D. I've loaded games with FRI and that worked too. I've added Mame32 and that also worked. I added .a26 extension to the atari 2600 vocabulary and the scan found my roms. So far I haven't found any problems. This program is very easy to work with :).

I do have one suggestion. It would be nice to be able to organize the list by system or name of the roms. (Kind of like on Itunes you can organize by artist, genre, album, etc.)

I'm looking forward to seeing more of this program :D

I'm glad that it worked!

I think sorting will be the next feature I add. It should be relatively trivial, too. Thanks for the suggestion. :)