The Ten Second Rule

Jay

Sly Little Devil
Ok... If your eating something and you drop it on the floor, by the ten second rule it's ok to eat it if you pick it up before you count to ten. I think it should be law. Anyone else follow the ten second rule?

Zach

If you dip your finger into a vat of acid, is it any safer at 10 seconds, than it would be at 3, or 4, or 20 ?

Jay

Sly Little Devil
Why does it have to apply to only food?

Because if I drop a CD for 10 minutes and it still plays I'm going to keep it.

If you dip your finger into a vat of acid, is it any safer at 10 seconds, than it would be at 3, or 4, or 20 ?

No, it's not any safer at 3, 4, or 20. But if I drop a cookie and leave it for 25 years before I eat it's a lot more dangerous than 10 seconds. I gotta draw the line somewhere. Why not ten? It's a nice round number.

Are you telling me that you are such a slob that a cookie would lay in your floor for 25 years before you would notice it?

El Fugitivo

Actually, it's been proven that the amount of germs picked up from the ground by dry food increases only slightly between 0 minutes and 5 hours.

TGS

Or just grab another cookie like I do. Bums.

M.H.A.Q.S.

The ten second rule is a belief. Those who believe it.

hitmonlee

we used the ten second rule at hungry jack's (fast food)
unless it was a frozen meat patty or frozen chips - in which case it doesn't matter how long its been there - because it is going to be cooked at a very high temperature anyway that will kill any germs

Zidane

Social Hazzard
Ten seconds eh? I thought it was changed to the 13 second rule, or was it 20?