limewire legality>??

seether9111

ummmm i forget
ok, I understand that the program itself isnt illegal.so is it illegal to download music, if all you do is listen privately, no burning???
also, i know it is illegal to copy dvds, but is it ok to make a back-up copy of one you own?because to do so you have to use decryption software, WHICH IS ILLEGAL??
just curious:D

Jale

The software itself is not illegal. Downloading content protected by copyright is illegal, even if it's for personal (private) use. That's the difference.

AnAutisticDog

Such Coin. Many Doge.
Its not illegal.....unless someone catches you

Genome

north west south west
^:happy:

legally you can make backup copys of your legally owned software.
the catch-22 that they try on you is to make decryption tools illegal.

so in their world you get screwed.

"oh why yes of course you can backup the item you just purchased, however you cant use any sort of software to do so. hahahahha"

like telling you that you can build your own boat, you just cant use any tools to do it.

basically just go by what autistic said.

TchuBacha

I am the Stig
Even though they are breaking the law I dont think the police will do anything. Infact I would hazard a guess any say 99% of all police officers have broken this law.

MIAA or who ever they are dont even inforce it. If you want to lend out your DVDs to your mates then go for it. The only thing that is stopping you is a couple of words on the back of the case that not everyone is aware of and nobody cares about.

AnAutisticDog

Such Coin. Many Doge.
Even though they are breaking the law I dont think the police will do anything. Infact I would hazard a guess any say 99% of all police officers have broken this law.

MIAA or who ever they are dont even inforce it. If you want to lend out your DVDs to your mates then go for it. The only thing that is stopping you is a couple of words on the back of the case that not everyone is aware of and nobody cares about.

I am calling somebody

Im gonna tell NAH NAH NAH NAH NAAAAANAAAA

Hrothgar

I know that Sweden has virtually no copy-right laws. The reason why I know this is that there is a Swedish bit torrent site that has been around for years, and despite several 'cease and desist' letters from various companies (Like Microsoft, Sega, Warner Brothers, etc.) the site has yet to be shut down. In fact, the site shut down for 72 hours because the Swedish police stopped their server, but dropped the investigation due to the fact there was a lack of copyright laws to charge them with.

So yeah, there's still some pirates out there sticking it to the man, :D

TchuBacha

I am the Stig
I know that Sweden has virtually no copy-right laws. The reason why I know this is that there is a Swedish bit torrent site that has been around for years, and despite several 'cease and desist' letters from various companies (Like Microsoft, Sega, Warner Brothers, etc.) the site has yet to be shut down. In fact, the site shut down for 72 hours because the Swedish police stopped their server, but dropped the investigation due to the fact there was a lack of copyright laws to charge them with.

So yeah, there's still some pirates out there sticking it to the man, :D

No prizes for guess which site your talking about :p

Isnt there a political party in sweden promoting piracy and protests particularly by students who are fighting for the right to freely download any files on the internet even if they violate copyright?

seether9111

ummmm i forget
they got a lot of people to charge with a crime if downloading from limewire is illegal then!!
I mean its like buying a gun, they know they kill people, but they will sell it to ur ass neways:confused:
but then again, anything to make $$$;)

TchuBacha

I am the Stig
they got a lot of people to charge with a crime if downloading from limewire is illegal then!!
I mean its like buying a gun, they know they kill people, but they will sell it to ur ass neways:confused:
but then again, anything to make $$$;)

Off Topic:
Since you mentioned guns I beleive Sweden has has more AK47's than people. :happy:

Hrothgar

On Topic :p : I feel no shame in the many things I pirate. I mostly pirate music, anime, and software (especially software that's made by a company that begins with A and ends in Dobe). The reason why I don't feel guilty for this is that

1. I buy the CDs that I really love
2. Musicians make their money off of concerts and merchandice.
3. Anime is rediculously expensive. I eventually want to buy the REALLY good animes I've seen, but the rest is too much money.
4. When you ask for more than a grand for your software, then just forget it.​

I truely despise companies like the IRAA that try and police the world of copyrighted material.

I know I've said a lot of this before. I suppose the main point I'm trying to make is that I acknowledge it's illegal, but could simply care less.

On a last note, yeah it's kind of obvious what torrent site I was talking about before :D

seether9111

ummmm i forget
1. I buy the CDs that I really love
2. Musicians make their money off of concerts and merchandice

you said it all. If a band is any count at all then they make money on live shows, t-shirts etc.if people really "love them"then they will always make more than enough money from this.so pirating really only hurts those bands that pretty well suk neways.

Ryanfaescotland

EDIT - Didn't notice there was a second page here :)

Last edited:

Ana

So you download anime, movies, music. I do not care how much it was it's still wrong to steal.

Zach

Undeniably wrong. The difference comes down to people who care, and people who don't. Some folks try to justify it with some sort of self imposed shareware model, claiming they'll go buy it if they like it. It's all the same stealing tho.

I've been leeching what I want for so long, I just don't care anymore.. If I had money to pay for stuff, I most likely would buy it though.