VisualBoyAdvance Emulator please help!

StonyKid

When I'm playing a game and press a button, the emulator sometimes doesn't do so(in game)! For example, when I'm playing super mario advance 2 and I need to jump and I press the a button(z key on keyboard) it doesn't jump! I have to press it a billion more times and it jumps (when it's useless) after I lost my mushroom powers!! Please tell me how to fix it!!!

Solis

Did you check if your keyboard is working properly? open the notepad
and type the letters on your keyboard.

Cloud802

Emu Freak
Try going out and buying a gamepad, it makes things a lot more managable, perferably with joysticks on it for the newer emulators.

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
Go into control panel in windows and check the repeat rate for your keyboard. Might be related to this or you might have something like Sticky Keys turned on.

Also try mapping jump to a different key, and see if it makes any difference. If all the other keys work fine it definitely sounds like its related to your keyboard or perhaps specifically just your Z key.

Have you tried using a different game to see if the same problem occurs when pressing the 'A' (z) button?. If its ok in other games then the issue is likely related to the SMB2 rom. If it suffers the same problem in other games then the issue is definitely with your keyboard.

Last edited:

Cloud802

Emu Freak
Ok, if it ends up being related to your keyboard and you don't want to go spend money on a game pad then simply change the controls and you'll be fine.

StonyKid

FatTrucker: I tried it with WarioWare.Inc and there's the same problem. Except now the d-pad also messes up. I'll check that repeat rate thing. What should I do to it?

Cloud: Yeah, I tried different keys and it works for a little bit but starts to mess up again.

Zach

Redefine all your control keys, or try installing a fresh copy of the emulator too. Don't simply overwrite the files though, put it in a new directory to test it out first.

StonyKid

Redefine all your control keys, or try installing a fresh copy of the emulator too. Don't simply overwrite the files though, put it in a new directory to test it out first.

If i change controls it only works for little bit. i tried reinstalling too.

Dalsar

Also try mapping jump to a different key, and see if it makes any difference. If all the other keys work fine it definitely sounds like its related to your keyboard or perhaps specifically just your Z key.
(Piggeybacking on someone else's problem) How do you re-bind keys?

Zach

Most emulators have the option to do so in the Options drop-down menu. Under controller settings or something aptly named to indicate the controls