(new to these forums) Killer Instinct

enjikari

Hello everyone. I need some emulation help. I'm trying to find the arcade version of Killer Instinct for emulation. I downloaded "u64emu", but I can't get it to work. I also have downloaded MAME, but can't get that to work either. Can someone help me with some experienced knowledge? Perhaps I'm doing something wrong, or not doing something at all, I'm not sure. Can someone help me get Killer Instinct? Advanced thank yous for any help. Nice forum, by the way :happy:

Jale

96.5 MB to be exact... These are the files you need to play KI:

u10-l1 ........ 512 KB
u11-l1 ........ 512 KB
u12-l1 ........ 512 KB
u13-l1 ........ 512 KB
u33-l1 ........ 512 KB
u34-l1 ........ 512 KB
u35-l1 ........ 512 KB
u36-l1 ........ 512 KB
u98-l15d ...... 512 KB
kinst.chd ..... 91.1 MB <-- This one is the hardest to find...

Total: 96.5 MB

enjikari

I do!

Ok, I do have all those files specified. Now what do I do with them? Also, I'm running on Windows XP (if that means anything). Should I use MAME or MAME32? Or should I be using the u64emu? I would prefer an emulator that let me use a joystick (and let me customize the buttons).

<edit> I'm currently trying to use Mame32 version 0.90

Last edited:

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
Try using mame32. It should be quite easy to configure a gamepad or joystick.

You might want to check the files with ClrMamePro to make sure that you have the correct file names.

enjikari

I do

Yes, they are the correct ones. So, how do I use these files (in accordance with Mame32 0.90) to play Killer Instinct?

Robert

make sure all the files except the last one, are zipped up into kinst.zip
the kinst.zip goes into your ROMS folder. Under the roms folder make a new folder
and call it KINST. Put the kinst.chd (unzipped) into this folder.

Now start up mame32. Click on Available (on the left), and press F5. It will take a
little while, and then you have a list of games that are complete, and have the correct
roms. Double-click on Killer Instinct, answer any screens, and the game starts up.

Or should. Tell us what happens and any error messages.

enjikari

robbbert said:
make sure all the files except the last one, are zipped up into kinst.zip
the kinst.zip goes into your ROMS folder. Under the roms folder make a new folder
and call it KINST. Put the kinst.chd (unzipped) into this folder.

Now start up mame32. Click on Available (on the left), and press F5.

I got to this point, pressed F-5, nothing happened. Saw a blue bar run across the bottom, but then nothing. Any help?

<Edit>

I just checked the size of the .chd file, and it was 0 !!! So, I'm searching frantically for the right .chd file now. If anyone has any help for me to get this file, PM me, I'd appreciate it. I'll post again when I have the file and have re-ran the steps.

Last edited:

enjikari

Stuck again

Great News everyone! I got them all to work, and I'm now playing! This is so great! Just to hear the computer say "Ultra comboooo!" made my day. Guys thanks so much for the help, you've made this old KI vet one happy man. Also, if any new people kome here looking for help on this game, PM me and I'll help where I can. Thanks again, and happy gaming!

Last edited:

AFP520

Destination Undefined
Sorry to bump this back up but I'm still having problems getting this game to run right. I have all the required files, including kinst.chd (91.1mb) and I'm running mame32 0.67.

I get this error message.
kinst : kinst.chd 6d4c2f152c9a18ab3a9b05b8804306a8 NOT FOUND

tried the afore mentioned methods and still nothing.

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
Have you tried a more recent version of Mame32?. 0.67 is very old and its likely the romset you have isn't compatible with it.

In fact I'm pretty sure even with the correct older files that KI didn't work properly/at all in 0.67.

Last edited:

AFP520

Destination Undefined
Good call trucker. On a hunch I went ahead and got a new version of mame and it worked perfectly.

Trident

96.5 MB? how come the version i found was only 4.26mb zipped? i havn't tested it but is it fake?
::EDIT::
just checked it out missing kinst.chd that explains it.
thought i found it... 23kb? yeah right. nothing seems to be working here.

Last edited: