Emulator for other systems besides computers

crazychild

That Australian guy...
This site does feature emulators for Windows and DOS. There are also a few for MAC and mobile. I want to know if there are emulators that can be used on either consoles or handhelds.

A lot of current systems like the Nintendo DS have backward compatibility, in this case could play Nintendo GBA games. So these modern systems would have their own in-built emulators.

I don't know if I am recalling properly but I think there was a NES emulator, which could be used on the PlayStation.

So yeah I just want to know if there are emulators, which can be used for other systems besides the computer?

Thanks for answering!

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
Emulators have been made for almost all systems at one time or another. There are even things like zx spectrum emulators for the Amiga. Most systems like the DS and especially the PSP have a range of emulators for many popular systems.

Googling for the type of emulator you want on the type of system you want to run it should get you where you need to go.

alcoatjez

Capo di Tutti Capi
A lot of current systems like the Nintendo DS have backward compatibility, in this case could play Nintendo GBA games. So these modern systems would have their own in-built emulators.

I don't think the DS uses emulation, since IIRC one of the ARM processors in the DS is about the same as the GBA one.

Zach

DS doesn't emulate, or if it does it's doing it very efficiently and using code it can already understand while bridging the rest with some kind of virtual machine in real time.

It's likely just backwards compatible though.

Anyway just don't get your hopes up on NES for PSOne. I found one in beta that was very hit and miss, and even if something loaded, it could be bugged to hell. I'm guessing it wasn't very friendly to program for, and I wouldn't be suprised of the CPU isn't powerful enough to fully emulate an NES in a proper manner.