Gaming PC

AnAutisticDog

Such Coin. Many Doge.
Hey, I might be getting a really good job soon and I was thinking of getting a PC thats a gaming machine. Basically I need to know some good reputable websites that I choose the components and they build it and ship it to me.{at a good price}
I know what i need somewhat, but i was wondering if someone could list some of the components I should have installed.

I would like to keep it under $3,000{if possible}

Last edited:

Zach

I only ever really shop at Newegg, also. It's been a great site with great prices for many years.. Only problem is I don't know of Newegg having any assembly service. Chances are any company you go to that WILL build it for you, will give you a limited option of what you can put in the machine, and will charge you a lot of money for the parts themselves, and then charge you more for the assembly.

W/Newegg you get low prices and the freedom to choose whatever you want. You just have to assemble it yourself. If you have a PC savvy friend (I mean someone who really knows, not someone who thinks they know because they changed a CD-ROM drive), ask if they'll help you assemble it. For $3,000 you could definitely afford a high powered prefab, it's just a question of how much money you DON'T want to spend.

Or you can ask us, or I know a forum or two where you can get advice and help.

As to what to put into your PC.. It's kind of hard to say unless you're building it right this instant. Technology and prices can change so fast that what you want to buy for what you're spending may not be the best choice out there when you do get around to building your PC..

You'll definitely want a Core 2 Duo, as Intel is taking the performance crown from AMD right now. Some people would argue for quad core, but there is no real practical use for it right now - and you can always buy it later anyway. At least with Intel you don't need to buy a whole need motherboard when you upgrade your CPU in short time spans 99% of the time.

You'll probably also want to pick a Nvidia Geforce based card.. Not sure what the best out right now is, but undoubtedly something like the Geforce 8800 Ultra or something..

You can use these two charts to help out with CPU and Graphics Card research, as they compare many models in many tests.

http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics_2007.html

http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu_2007.html

Intel is a no brainer with the CPU's as the chart will show. The selections are easy to read if you know how..
The Values go - Clock Speed / Bus Speed / Motherboard Chipset / DDR Speed

Last edited:

onewecallgod

Wait for the nVidia 9800 series as it's just around the corner.

Build it yourself. It's so much more rewarding.

AnAutisticDog

Such Coin. Many Doge.
I was justa thinking of something like this.

$1932.75 for Package 536: >> Configuration: # 2

Warranty : Fully assembled and tested. Shipout in 3 Days. 3-Year limited warranty plus lifetime tech support. QTY: 1
Case : aBX ATX: [ CA-ST402B ] ( Front USB, Audio ), Black w/ 350W PSU QTY: 1
Power Supply [ PSU ] : Power my PC with a 750W Power Supply - PSU [ NSP-750V2.2BF14PFC ] QTY: 1
CPU Processor : Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, LGA 775, 2.4GHz, 64-Bit Quad-Core, 2x4MB Cache; { 1066MHz FSB } QTY: 1
System Board : Abit nForce 650i SLI, Quad-1333, SLI, RAID, w/Audio, GbLAN. [ Fatal1ty FP-IN9 SLI ] QTY: 1
Memory 1 Slot : DDR2: 2048MB 800MHz / PC6400 QTY: 1
Memory 2 Slot : DDR2: 2048MB 800MHz / PC6400 QTY: 1
Memory 3 Slot : OPTIONAL QTY: 0
Memory 4 Slot : OPTIONAL QTY: 0
VGA Card 1 : PCI-E16: Geforce 8600GTS: 512MB QTY: 1
VGA Card 2 : PCI-E16: Geforce 8800GTS: 640MB QTY: 1
Monitor LCD : LCD: 19": 1440x900, Widescreen LCD Monitor QTY: 1
Hard Drive 1 : 400GB SATA-II 7200RPM w/16MB Buffer QTY: 1
Hard Drive 2 : 160GB SATA-II 7200RPM w/8MB Buffer QTY: 1
Hard Drive 3 : OPTIONAL QTY: 0
Hard Drive 4 : OPTIONAL QTY: 0
Optical Drive 1 : ROM:DVDRW: 20x Dual-Format/Dual-Layer w/LightScribe, Ivory Color QTY: 1
Optical Drive 2 : ROM:DVDRW: 20x Dual-Format/Dual-Layer w/LightScribe, Ivory Color QTY: 1
Media Readers : 1.44MB Floppy Drive w/ 7 in 1 Card Reader, Black Color QTY: 1
TV Tuner : MSI TV@nywhere Plus, TV Tuner, w/Remote Control QTY: 1
Sound Card : High Definition 7.1 Digtial Surround Sound QTY: 1
Speakers : 2.0 Systems: aBX MM2. [ 669-8817 ] QTY: 1
Network : Integrated onBoard 10/100/(1000) Port(s) QTY: 1
Wireless Net : OPTIONAL QTY: 0
Modem : OPTIONAL QTY: 0
Operating System : Windows Vista Home Premium - 32 Bit Edition - w/ DVD set QTY: 1
Software : OPTIONAL QTY: 0
Keyboard : Wireless: Logitech Cordless Desktop LX 710 Laser: Keyboard + Mouse, [ 967670-0403 ] QTY: 1
Mouse : OPTIONAL QTY: 0
URL Link : http://www.pcusa.com/shopKitConfig....0,9,12,2,4,2,0,0,11,12,4,3,0,1,0,0,0,4,0,13,0,

Does this seem okay. I basically want to be able to play games like Gears of War, Crysis, the new Farcry. at decent quality.

Last edited:

Jale

Get GeForce 8800 Ultra. Also, get the 64 bit version of Vista if you want to use it with 64 bit processors such as Core 2 Duo/Quad.

Oh, and yeah, building it by yourself is a must.

Last edited:

AnAutisticDog

Such Coin. Many Doge.
Wahts the difference between 64bit and 32bit. BTW thats pre-built and tested. then they ship it

Jale

64 bit operative systems can run 64 bit applications. 64 bit applications can take advantage of the multicore processors.

AnAutisticDog

Such Coin. Many Doge.
Ill keep that in mind. But wil that work okay since it has 2 graphics cards but thaay are nt the same type.

BTW I gotta get this job before i can get one of these so keep your fingers crossed.:eek::eek::eek:

Jale

The video card thin you want to do is called cross over (SLi/Crossfire). If you want optimum performance, both cards must be the of the same type (model).

ie:

2X GeForce 8800 Ultra.
2X GeForce 8600 GTS.

and so on...

Someone correct me if I'm wrong. My card is Crossfire (Radeon) compatible, but I haven't tried that. I have two X1600 cards, but my motherboard has only 1 AGP slot.

Last edited:

Epsi

Zoo Keeper
Someone correct me if I'm wrong. My card is Crossfire (Radeon) compatible, but I haven't tried that. I have two X1600 cards, but my motherboard has only 1 AGP slot.

Im also not an expert on this... but I dont think you can have a SLI or Crossfire setup with a AGP slot. I'm almost 90% sure you need atleat 2 8x PCI Express slots for that.... please correct me if I'm wrong.

Jale

You can have Crossfire with AGP cards in the case of Radeon cards, because my two X1600 cards are AGP and Crossfire compatible. At least the box says so.

The hard thing is to find a motherboard with two AGP slots.

onewecallgod

The hard thing is to find a motherboard with two AGP slots.
They don't exist.

There's no point in going Crossfire or SLI. It's just a waste of money.

64 bit applications can take advantage of the multicore processors.
You don't have to run a 64 bit OS to take advantage of multithreaded applications. Any Windows operating system higher than 2000 will handle multiprocessors and multithreaded applications with no problem at all. 64 bit might sound cool, but to this day there are still compatability issues. Not to mention the fact that there isn't a really a performance boost.

Last edited:

AnAutisticDog

Such Coin. Many Doge.
I geuss if ever need the 64bit version I could just upgrade later.

alexxi

back from hell
A 32 vs 64 bit comparison:

quote : "A bit is short for “binary digit.” It is basically how a computer stores and makes references to data, memory, etc. A bit can have a value of 1 or 0, that’s it. So binary code is streams of 1’s and 0’s, such as this random sequence 100100100111. These bits are also how your processor does calculations. By using 32 bits your processor can represent numbers from 0 to 4,294,967,295 while a 64-bit machine can represent numbers from 0 to 18,446,744,073,709,551,615. Obviously this means your computer can do math with larger numbers, and be more efficient with smaller numbers."

Last edited: