What is a .7z Document File?

Koianni

Odd question? Odd situation really. all my years of downloading. Never have I seen something like this happen. Naturally...windows is always doing something wierd.

I went to download PCSX2 and immediately sotted the weird .7z appear in the "save as type" box.

My specific question is this.

How do I deal with a file that will not download as a proper application or winzip/winrar file. Or is the file for this imulator supposed to behave this way.

hagbard

It's an archive format, like rar or zip, but features better compression. The 7-zip file archiver it's free and support this and other compression formats. Also WinRar suppports 7z files since some versions ago. Btw a google search should gave you the answer much faster :cool:

Koianni

Well I am certainly all set with WinRAR's most recent version and took serious notice that the creators of the PS2 emulator actually chose this format :D The emulator most have a bit of size to it. Its actually cool that the format has its own utility though. I will be sure to use that link and download it. Wonder why more people don't use it? Guess I will get that answer when i download it.

Thanx Hagbard.

hagbard

Well, it's a free format unlike Rar and offers better compression so I think it's normal that homebrew devs use it.

Zach

Compression performance, like with all formats, varies by what kind of data you are trying to compress.

It compresses ROMS down pretty small compared to other formats, but to say its simply better is a mistake

hagbard

Neco said:
Compression performance, like with all formats, varies by what kind of data you are trying to compress.
Pretty obvious

Neco said:
It compresses ROMS down pretty small compared to other formats, but to say its simply better is a mistake
We were talking about emulation, so when I said it features better compression it's easy to understand what I'm talking about. :cool:

Koianni

I see that a lot of the old free compression stuff going to pay. Good thing i kept the older version of them as backup :)

Perhaps it was just bad timing on my part...but never got anywhere with the download part. What are best times to download it via the mirror sites?

hagbard

Koianni said:
I see that a lot of the old free compression stuff going to pay. Good thing i kept the older version of them as backup :)

Perhaps it was just bad timing on my part...but never got anywhere with the download part. What are best times to download it via the mirror sites?

I think it's bad luck only :p . Give a try to every mirror, and click on link if the download doesn't auto start. Good luck :)

Koianni

As of 8 PM ET I made my second attmept and got a successful download. Ah the bliss. Now i just have to finish cleaning out the old gateway and get it setup for emu console gaming :)

Speaking of...

What registry cleanup program you reccommend? Gateway needs it something fierce :p

hagbard

jv16 power tools and RegSupreme, but they became shareware time ago. Perhaps you might use the last freeware versions here

Koianni

Once again...thanks so much. Macesoft makes sweet little utility programs. I think this should be it for now :D

hagbard

Glad to see it helps. Good luck :)