Virtual Memory Low

Ana

What is Virtual Memory Low I get this on some web pages?

I have windows XP Pro With service pack 2

I use windows Internet explorer 8 (because firefox will not work right for me :( )

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
What is Virtual Memory Low I get this on some web pages?
Virtual memory is your swap file. Normally with xp its done automatically and is not recommended to change it. IMO the best thing is to use another drive for swap if you have one, that or another partition.

But I'm 99% sure that not your problem. If you have enough physical ram then your problem is more then likely spy-ware. I say that in confidence since its web related. Try a few aware removers.

Adaware
Spybot - Search & Destroy
CCleaner ( for a good cache clearer. )

There are many more..

It may be worth a java reinstall if the problem persists. If you need more help do a cntr+alt+del when you get the issue and screen shot it. I can tell you more from that. Also you can run a hijackthis log.

I use windows Internet explorer 8 (because firefox will not work right for me )
Here is the stem of the problem. Why wont FF work? This would save you lots of trouble.

Last edited:

Ana

Thanks alot I'm going to try Google Chrome so are I like it and I have not had a Virtual Memory Low on the web pages :)

I downloaded spybot and it did find something.

Dude111

An Awesome Dude
ulaoulao said:
Virtual memory is your swap file. Normally with xp its done automatically and is not recommended to change it.
I agree...

Im on 98se and i have my swap file set to "Let windows manage my virtual memory settings"

Good luck Ana :)

Jale

Seems like you have a low-end PC. In such cases using another browser is a better choice since Firefox is a memory hog.

Ana

My PC is getting old it has a AMD Sempron(tm) Processor 3200+(1.8GHZ) with 448MB of RAM

I got it for $300 two years ago. Anyway I formatted my PC I found out I had A virus is was named Eraseme.exe I could find no help on how to remove it I got avast home it knew it was a virus but could do nothing about it I want to know if it knew it was a virus then why did it not stop it ?

This is why Firefox will not work for me if i go to some web pages they will load and everything but when I ext Firefox and try to make a new folder on my desktop and rename it it will not let me the option to rename is not even there also if i try to install software it will not do anything i click on it and it just sits there anyway I went back to firefox 2 so far everything is working good :)

Last edited:

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
My PC is getting old it has a AMD Sempron(tm) Processor 3200+(1.8GHZ) with 448MB of RAM
Maybe be low end for todays standards but not for browsing the web?? FF also does not need much more then that. I run FF on my linux box with a 550 mhz...

I think you need to clean the OS and start over.. Maybe upgrade what you can before hand.

Last edited:

Ana

I did reinstall windows XP now no more Virtual Memory Low

My hard disk drive is 111GB

Ana

I want to upgrade soon to Windows 7 but I know nothing about Intel Dual Core,AMD 64,AMD 64 x2,AMD 6 core.

In the paper I saw a Intel Dual core duo 2.7 GHZ do you think that would be something to upgrade to or should i just wait I remember my brother had a Intel pentium 4 3.0 GHZ it was a fast computer I want to know is a Intel Dual core 2.7 GHZ faster than a Intel pentium 3.0 GHZ

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
If you have the money go for the AMD X4 955 Phenom II Processor, with a nice Mobo like the (ASUS M4A79T Deluxe) ans drop in some OCZ Gold DDR3 ram.. ~(350 to 400) for it all depending on what else you need and where you get it. AMD is finally making a come back! But if you dont want to go all out. Yes a Core duo by intel is still a heck of a chip. But is also price..

If you really want to skim by the AMD x2 is very nice IMO, I still run my X2 chip and play GameCube roms at very nice speeds.

Last edited:

Zach

Anyway..

Pentium 4 is ancient compared to the CPUs of today. I run a Core2 Duo @ 3Ghz (its really a 2.13Ghz chip) and its very nice. My GPU is the most limiting factor in my system but its probably fine for emulation anyway, I don't really play with modern console stuff though.

If you are on a budget than an AMD chip is gonna be pretty good for you. But you'll have to go with whatever people recommend for that as I haven't had AMD in a long time.

Core2 Duo prices have come down a little though, it all depends on what currency you are buying in, and where you buy from though. Online stores are usually always cheaper, but Brick and Mortar stores (meaning a local retail chain) usually have some pretty good deal on prebuilt systems in the sub $1000 USD range.

My brother has a Core i7, and a Geforce GTX275.. I wish I had one of those setups.

As far as your Virtual Memory Low thing, that probably has to do with filling up your hard drive and not leaving much space for the SWAP file to expand, hence why a fresh install of Windows (assuming you formatted the drive and it has more free space than before) will get rid of those errors.

As a stop gap you could simply buy an inexpensive 500GB drive or something. They are usually pretty cheap these days.

Ana

I want to spend 600 maybe 800 on a new computer I went to dell and I did not see any computer I really liked. All I want is Windows 7 with 4 GB if that's enough of RAM about 200 GB Hard Drive and 3.0 GHZ Processor.

That should run MAME and maybe Nintendo DS good also I do not want to go out and buy another computer in 5 years or so.

My 1.8 AMD is still running MAME good bout some games are starting to slow down a little like losing frames One game that runs alittle slow is Salamander 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TX3GZ14_wZU

Zach

You cannot avoid buying a new computer every 5 or 6 years if you want to maintain performance for the most current apps.

As for why your Salamander game is slowing down, sure its not just slow down in the original hardware itself? MAME will emulate that kind of stuff.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883229130

this seems like a decent PC I guess, comes with Windows 7. It's by no means the best but for what you are looking for I think finding yourself a computer of a similar build for the price you want, is what you should focus on. I don't know if Newegg ships international though, so you may have to look around.

But that kind of system is probably what you should be aiming for in terms of an upgrade/replacement for your current one.

Last edited:

Dude111

An Awesome Dude
Ana said:
I did reinstall windows XP now no more Virtual Memory Low

My hard disk drive is 111GB
Good im glad you got it corrected :)

Boy you have alot of room there! (About 111,000 megs of space!)

Last edited:

Ana

The game did run fine on MAME 0.122 My laptop has a 3.0 GHZ chip in it it will run any game just fine to bad the fan is always running it gets hot easy that;s why I want a Desktop 3.0 GHZ.

Last edited:

Zach

Is the heat the problem for you, or just the noise of the fan?

If you're worried about it getting hot, you could also look into getting a laptop cooler or something. They are usually small table-like devices that have a fan to move air, and keep it elevated to keep the air moving over it, or something like that.