Ultimarc's Arcadevga cards

jox43w

iv been trying to find out the most about theese as i can but i still not completley sure.

The new version lets you still operate xp on a normal pc monitor:

Now does this mean i can use the same resolution im currently using without a arcade vga card? or will my desktop have to be in a dogey resolution?

bearing in mind i still want to use my pc as normal ie surf the web do word processing etc will i still be able to with this card?

finaly once it is set up will it automaticaly select the best resolution for mame or will i be constatly having to adjust it? ie say im using firefox as normal then i want to use mame do i need to change a load of settings?

willyham

Parselmouth
Well what i think u maybe asking but i am not clear is that you think mame will change the resolution on ur monitor? well i can safely say no...and it wont affect firefox....i run everything on my laptop...at the same time most of the time too...so u shud be ok...

hope that helped.

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
iv been trying to find out the most about theese as i can but i still not completley sure.

The new version lets you still operate xp on a normal pc monitor:

Now does this mean i can use the same resolution im currently using without a arcade vga card? or will my desktop have to be in a dogey resolution?

bearing in mind i still want to use my pc as normal ie surf the web do word processing etc will i still be able to with this card?

finaly once it is set up will it automaticaly select the best resolution for mame or will i be constatly having to adjust it? ie say im using firefox as normal then i want to use mame do i need to change a load of settings?

If you are using a normal PC monitor you don't need an AVGA. They are specifically designed to output the abnormal frequencies and resolutions required by an Arcade monitor or TV. If you are using a CRT PC monitor any PC graphics card will be ok as mame can modify the resolutions in software, and if you are using an LCD monitor its irrelevant as they don't support lower resolutions or variable refresh rates anyway meaning mame will simply force the video to display at your desktop resolution.

The new AVGA's will work perfectly well as a normal PC graphics card so will happily display higher resolutions on your PC the same as any other card, but again, if you are using it with a PC monitor its a pointless waste of money because you won't need/be able to use any of the features its designed for.

Zach

I can make my LCD do a hell of a lot of resolutions.. It's not that they don't support them, it's that some here and there may not be supported, and the LCD isn't designed to always looks its best in other resolutions, except for the one it comes advertised as. mine is 1280x1024 native for example, but I can play low res DOS games, etc, full screen in low res