Total and Available Memory is way different

Hjustin2

S.O.U._Hawk Eye
My Total and Available memory is more than 1000Mb different. Is it suppose to be that way? Running Vista Home Premium

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
Your notebook has an in built graphics chip with shared memory, meaning it uses system ram rather than dedicated graphics ram so yes a lot of the time it will report large differences in the amount of available memory dependent on how much is allocated to the system and how much is being used by the graphics card.

Not very good for gaming TBH. Shared graphics are a fairly bad solution.

Hjustin2

S.O.U._Hawk Eye
How can I get things equal out for the best gamin, Trucker?

onewecallgod

There really isn't much you can do about it. Next time, don't buy a laptop with integrated graphics if you intend to game on it.

AnAutisticDog

Such Coin. Many Doge.
My laptop has shared memory.

FYI. I like men, but only if its onewecallgod

Hjustin2

S.O.U._Hawk Eye
so no way to turn share off,? So then pagefile, on or off? Auto detect or specific number.

Zach

Vista takes up about a gig of ram from what I have observed.. Also I've read some stuff that suggests the way it manages your RAM is different as well.. For whatever reason it may appear to be gobbling up a lot of ram, but when the ram is needed it releases it to be used or something along those lines.

Right now I've got 1.1GB used roughly, and 2.9GB free, out of 4GB. This is according to a sidebar app for my desktop. Going into task manager it claims to be taking up all but less than 1MB... Don't have any performance issues or anything either so whatever it does isn't hurting.

Hjustin2

S.O.U._Hawk Eye
yea, Im gonna go crashy trying to find out how to turn this sharing off.