Still no luck with MAME

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisneyRob

Still can not get everything to work with MAME.....
Systems like Apple2 GS, Game Park, Game Mate,Epoch, and V-Tech do not work
I get the ROMS are not found error.
So I download the entire ROM pack, and these ROMS are in there. And these were ROMS made for MAME
I still get the ROMS not found error.
I heard the ROMS need to be in zip format. SO I unzips the ROMS packs, and got the individual programs still in ZIP format
Same thing.
Heard that some of the older ROMS might not be recognized by newer versions of MAME... SO I uninstalled MAME, and reinstalled older versions 2015, 2016, 2017,
Still it can not find the ROMS
Other systems like Arcade, Atari, Coleco....work like a dream.
Just some don't it is hit or miss.
Any thoughts, or any help would be greatly appreciated. If I can get MAME to work across the board I can add about ten systems I want to play,
Thanks for the help.

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
Every game, not system, needs to be in a zip file. The zip file can contain multiple rom files (if they are all part of the same game).

The problem is that you tried to run a game you downloaded, with the latest version of MAME and that game was an older or incompatible version.

There are two solutions to your problem:
1. Check the site where you downloaded the game from and see if it mentions the required mame version.
2. You will have to "audit" the games you want, and update/fix the downloaded files. Unfortunately this is time consuming and kind of hard for somebody who has never done such a thing.

MAME, when you start collecting the games for the first time, can be a bit messy.

DisneyRob

What it be simpler to run an older version of MAME. I went back to 2015/ If I have to I will go back even further.
My MAME is 0.239 and my ROMSET is 0.202.

DisneyRob

Okay it is working...somewhat..... The games are loading now. however in some cases I get a menu of what looks like DOS script. And then it closes and nothing more happens.
Some of the games in the files work, but others just bring up this DOS script, and bail me out. Are these ROMS defective, or something.
Or is there a step I missed?

Status
Not open for further replies.