Emulator Problem: Sounds ridiculous at first. Wii Virtual Console emulator?

Defski

See the thing is, I've extracted my Majora's Mask Virtual Console save file from my Wii onto an SD card in the hopes of using it, but unfortunately, Dolphin can't play N64, and Dolphin can't use the Wii save file either.

BUT. What if I downloaded the Wii system menu for Dolphin, and installed the game from there? Nope. Dolphin isn't for N64 games. Regardless if it's being played off VC or not.
So now, I specifically need a VC emulator for the game to work properly. A N64 emulator will not work, because the save file is completely different. It'll play MM, sure, but would not use the save file which is made for the Wii. Incompatible. No go.

I ask myself, why do I want to go through the trouble of playing my save file on the PC, instead of a perfectly good Wii? No idea. I don't know what purpose I am trying to achieve. I don't even know why I got myself in this mess in the first place. :dry:

Mupen64 Man

Big fan of Mupen64
Staff member
I wonder if Ulao has any experience with save file hacking, maybe it might have the same format as the EEPROM save file internally, but different headers? Who knows. Sounds like a curious endeavor.

Defski

Is a Ulao a user here? It might be possible. The save file for the Wii is 318KB, whilst the new save file for Project64 is 97KB. I've almost completed Majora's Mask, so it seems pretty close.

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
You may be unable to use the save in a regular emulator, it all comes down as to what kind of emulator Nintendo used and if the save can be some how modified. As for downloading the vWii system menu, you can make backups but Dolphin will probably not run it.