SNES Mariokart issue?

evossler

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum. I dropped by trying to find an answer for my problem with mariokart -- the game runs, in both zsnes and snes9x, but in both cases, nothing happens when I drive over a question block or coin, or an acceleration arrow. . .

Obviously the game isn't much fun without those fundamental elements.

I always just assumed that the emulation wasn't perfect yet and this game is one that won't run correctly, but from looking around on this forum and others, it seems clear that other people are playing mariokart without any issue.

Any suggestions?

Eric

hagbard

Weird, Mario Kart works usually works perfectlly since the DSP-1 chip is very good emulated. To quote from the Zsnes FAQ
# Q: What games use which DSP chip? How many of the DSP chips are emulated?
# A: There are two hardware DSP chips: Nintendo's DSP and Seta's DSP. Nintendo's DSP has 4 different major firmwares of which two, the DSP-1 and DSP-2, are supported. Games that are known to use the Nintendo DSP chips include:

* DSP-1: Pilotwings, Mario Kart, Suzuka 8 Hours, Lock On, Michael Andretti's Indy Car Challenge, Super Bases Loaded 2, Ballz
* DSP-2: Dungeon Master
* DSP-3: SD Gundam GX
* DSP-4: Top Gear 3000

Seta's DSP has 2 major firmwares. ZSNES supports the first one, known as the Seta 10 (ST010). Games that are known to use the Seta DSP chips include:

* Seta 10: F1 ROC 2
* Seta 11: Hayazashi Nidan Morita Shougi

There is also a Seta RISC proccessor, the Seta 18 (ST018), which is not yet emulated by ZSNES. It is used by Hayazashi Nidan Morita Shougi 2.
Perhaps the Mario Kart ROM you got it's not correctly dumped or corrupted. Try getting another dump, you can check it with NSRT or GoodSnes. You've to enter the command line (Start -> run -> cmd), assuming "mariokart.smc" is your ROM's name:

nsrt -rename -info mariokart.smc

or create a batch (bat) file, with this text:

nsrt -rename -info mariokart.smc 1> nrst.txt 2> nsrt_error.txt

Open nrst.txt to get the info

Otherwise, your Zsnes or Snes9x version might have a problem (extremly weird though), so then check another build

Last edited:

evossler

Hmm, thanks for pointing out these tools, hagbard. According to NSRT, you are right, my rom is bad. Bummer.

alcoatjez

Capo di Tutti Capi
evossler said:
Hmm, thanks for pointing out these tools, hagbard. According to NSRT, you are right, my rom is bad. Bummer.

Actually not. You found the cause for your problem. Just Google for Mario Kart and you will find a good ROM in no time :)