The Unknown
as rasterbating is mostly done by oldskool gamers, i was wondering if there where some people who were rasterbating, and have the possibilety to show some pictures of it (soon il make some pics myself:D)....

for the people who don't know what rasterbating is let me explain:

rasterbation is creating a picture with dots, by sticking multiple a4's (or other papers) together....
the software (online & download) can be founded here: http://homokaasu.org/rasterbator/

if you don't understand look here:


i have now one of the sega logo and one of the nintendo logo... mine are very simple (4 and 6 papers) but i like it simple. you can do it with without colours.
keep in mind, if you want a very detaild picture you should use a lot of paper and colour, wich is not reccomended... a simple nintendo logo: http://nintendowiiuk.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/nintendo_logo_99.jpg

can look very good in 6 papers, and its only work for about 5-10 min... also the only things you need besides the printer pc and internet, you need a pair of cissors (to cut edges -not reccomended- but mostely to cut the tape.) and some tape, so stick the papers togheter (wich is not needed if you stick them directly to the wall....:happy:


Man of Many Talents
I watched the Youtube video. I understand some people have an interest in this, but "rasterbating is mostly done by oldskool gamers"??

Why would this be popular around gamers?


The Unknown
I watched the Youtube video. I understand some people have an interest in this, but "rasterbating is mostly done by oldskool gamers"??

Why would this be popular around gamers?

because it looks at its best with retro game figurs, (sonic, mario, megaman, zelda, metriod, nintendo, sega, and so on) because those things aren't to detailt. try doing this with mario from super mario galaxy you whould end up having a total mess of coloured inkballs. thats why:):happy:


New member
I'm still confused where the raster part comes from, especially if you're printing shit out onto a non digital format. That's just a large image put together in small printed sections, which has been done long since before computers were around. Only an electronic display output, or digital storage format can rasterize something, as that is the fundamental concept for how certain displays look.

What Hrothgar did for example, is trendily called Pixel Art, but is more "rasterbating" than printing out a big picture on paper to assemble would ever be.

I find it rather telling that the irony of all this appears to be lost on the "geeks" who do it.

I don't care one way or the other, and if others have fun doing it, fine. But they could have picked a better name for a hobby, and for many reasons not including the one I just listed.
Last edited:


New member
A more conventional term I've heard for rasterbating is simply Tile Printing. A lot of it as been done as a form of convenience, since some images are far too huge to be printed upon a canvas. Most of the creativity in tile-printing lays in the photograph itself, or the unusual ways someone could rearrange a disassembled piece.

Before there was tile-printing, I know that some early hyper-realists like Chuck Close would paint in a grid like fashion. It was a way for a single painter to lose site of the whole picture, and allow himself to focus more on the detail and texture of a painting.

Of course, the breaking up of canvas's was done even before this with some abstract-expressionists. A single pieces wold consist of three individual canvas's. This would help set a sort of 'pace' for a single artwork.

But you can even go before that and look at how comics used panels to simulate pace in story telling.

So rasterbate is the correct term for what thenameless is doing. It comes from 'raster graphics software' and the second part from another obvious source. Though most people using it in the arts community would more simply dub it Tile Printing once again.

What separates pixel art and tile printing is the simple fact that tile printing does indeed involve photography.