PSX Ripping *help

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
I hate to bring up an old topic, but ISO compression is somthing I have put some time into. First off Tekken3. Its 44 with the audio ripped out. I have this ISO, and I got it down to 22 meg. First the audio is ripped off then put in to iso format. I then load this with epsxe or PSXeven. Then compress it with the compression tools in the emulator. The game will play just fine with no decompression. When an Iso gets this low in size you can then use 7z and get it down even better. Then use a front end like qplay to launch/extract it and play. Not all games work this well. TonyHawk uses a *****.xa file for the music tracks and I cant figure out how to rip it out yet.

Leerz

Pinoy Ako!
the music files and videos must have been removed.
these things are common in DL'ed games, some of them are rips and sometimes crippled (the game has a logo from the crippler)

the videos and music files are the only stuff making the game big.
since the game itself is just small. (the game and its runtime files)
thus making 660megs (orig) to <100 (rips) to be possible..

anyways.. isobuster is ok, read-error? your CD must be heavily scratched.
search "BLINDWRITE suite" or "BlindRead" of the torrent sites or p2p networs.

also.. if you only wish to "STORE" the games on your HD then yeah.. compress it.. tho..
you'll have to decompress it for you to play or mount.

Goodluck anyways! happy Gaming!
-Leerz

Last edited:

hagbard

Anyway I think it's a shame to miss the sound as I find it an important game's feature.

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
hagbard, I agree with you but not when I have to listen to that trendy cr@p I can here at any clude or down my street. Putting music sound track in video games is not only the cheep way out, it just lame.... IMO!!

;) although video game music rocks!!

Zach

So you're saying giving soundtracks to games sucks and is lame... But then you praise game music ? :dry:

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Yup. To each there own. But being an oldskool fan I would have thought you agreed. My point was to address

"Anyway I think it's a shame to miss the sound as I find it an important game's feature."

And hagbard is right. With out sound the game is 50% of what it can be. But IMO yes sound tracks of random punk/rap/rock what ever just is not video game music. I can see some one saying they love an old goodie from Tom Petty, or Snoop Dogg's latest chart hitter. Maybe even MJ's latest pop song. But one in 100 may agree that the song is good. Music is just too opinionated to be in a video game. Every one likes there own type of music. \m/ . But I bet most won’t argue with these great titles :)

CastleVania the clock tower.
Wizards & Warriors Into
Zelda labyrinth music.
Zelda Over world music
Contra first level
SMB simply Brings back the days.

And the list goes on…..

malephar

maybe i missed it but i didnt see the origional question answered here
and since it was with the help of this forum that i managed it
i think i better return the favour

the way i ripped the games was with the magiciso program
there is a tool to make an image of the disc and you just pick the cue/bin format and then your away with it
i hope that helps

hagbard

bobbyjoe said:
This is only slightly off topic, but there has been talk on Daemon-Tools on adding a plugin that would allow you to mount compressed ISO (http://www.daemon-tools.cc/dtcc/t884...s-support.html. Wouldn't it be nice to keep them compressed with, say, 7zip (seems to work the best with ISOs) and still be able to play them without decompressing them first? Hope this actually gets developed.
Yeah, a bit off topic :p Very nice if it loads fast enough, but I think it won't be easy. Btw, I fixed you link