Computer Problem: Problem involving unlocated file.

A_Stranger

For the last few months, whenever I start my computer, the first thing to pop-up at the menu is a reminder that a file called wvUmjHAs.dll was not found. Nothing else happens, and the computer works perfectly. However it keep doing this and I don't seem to be able to locate the file it's asking about. I can't find it in the section it's supposed to be in(never been there before either), and there's only 2 other websites out there that discuss the problem on a forum, both useless.

How can I put an end to this?

Zach

Do you have ani-virus software?

The only results I was able to get matching that exact file name, mentioned it in conjunction with either being a trojan, or infected by a trojan.. It probably is a trojan though if you have anti-virus and it quarantined or deleted the file, whatever was adding to your registry or startup options is trying to load the file into memory and can't find it..

Should also check your processes list to make sure it actually isn't running, or a variant of the filename or something else that looks suspicious.

A_Stranger

Do you have ani-virus software?

The only results I was able to get matching that exact file name, mentioned it in conjunction with either being a trojan, or infected by a trojan.. It probably is a trojan though if you have anti-virus and it quarantined or deleted the file, whatever was adding to your registry or startup options is trying to load the file into memory and can't find it..

Should also check your processes list to make sure it actually isn't running, or a variant of the filename or something else that looks suspicious.

Interesting, as I did suspect that one of my anti-virus programs removed it. I recently added Norton Systemworks, and along with being around a close time period as when I started getting those messages, it keeps removing my internet cookies.

Please excuse my ignorance, but how do I check up my processes?

Zach

You can open the task manager.

In Windows XP press CTRL + ALT + DEL

In Vista, right-click on your startbar anywhere to bring up the context menu, then select the task-manager option.. It can also be opened via CTRL-ALT-DEL but it takes you to a menu first.

Then look for the "Processes" tab.

If you also type RUN -> msconfig

you can check your startup tab to see if anything has put an entry for shady files in there, and disable them. Could take a lot of work. If it put something in there or in the registry you may want to get a professional to clean it out.