popular arcade layouts?

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
need some help here. popular arcade layouts. Not mame layout per say, but layouts you would find on the actual arcade.

I know street fighter
Code:
I know most MK's are
Code:
   0 0 
   0 0

also 2 buttons
Code:
, but what else?

Last edited:

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
The main others are central joystick with 1, 2 or 3 buttons either side. 2P joysticks with 1 2 or 3 buttons to the right of each stick and of course the NeoGeo setup with joystick and 4 buttons with the first button set slightly lower than the other 3.

There's also a controls project (which I can't remember the name of off the top of my head) that has been archiving control layouts for use with things like illuminated panels, CPViewer and Johnny 5 controls viewer so you might want to google about for that and give it a try.

Last edited:

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
The main others are central joystick with 1, 2 or 3 buttons either side. 2P joysticks with 1 2 or 3 buttons to the right of each stick and of course the NeoGeo setup with joystick and 4 buttons with the first button set slightly lower than the other 3.

There's also a controls project (which I can't remember the name of off the top of my head) that has been archiving control layouts for use with things like illuminated panels, CPViewer and Johnny 5 controls viewer so you might want to google about for that and give it a try.

THX ft, so like this..

neoGeo
Code:
  0 0 0

and the tree button like
Code:
or
Code:
0 0 0

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
The vast majority of dedicated cabs would have the buttons in a straight line.

Once Jamma became the norm though with ops changing games on a regular basis they would punch their own panels and would often use the 1 up and 2 under design if there was limited space on the panel.

alcoatjez

Capo di Tutti Capi
Just download the MAME Control Panel packs. This gives you the pictures of hundreds of arcade control panels.
Since you probably are going to use it for building a control panel, check out the layouts from the arcade control panel builders like SlickStick, X-Arcade & HotRod.
It's also nice to check out some reviews @RetroBlast!.