OSG Needs your help

Zach

Hey guys,

I know that I am not very active on the forum these days, so I hate for this to come off as spam, or asking a lot of people who don't really interact with or know me that well, but I don't know what else to do to solve my problem.

I'm a pretty timid guy, and I don't like signing up on random forums just to try and recruit writers - mainly because most communities regard this type of activity as spamming and leeching, when done by an "outsider" who is not a regular member. I understand this completely, but at the same time I don't have the time or energy to join a bunch of forums and be an active member just for the end goal of trying to recruit writers who may not exist/be interested at all.

I'm not asking you guys to spam other forums, but to just make a polite request in various other communities you may belong to and be in good standing with.

Perhaps it would be best to ask a moderator on the forum first, if its OK for you to post a message about it.

Something along the lines of

"A friend of mine has been running a retro gaming magazine in his spare time, but is really looking for writers who can commit to the project to keep it going and deliver fresh content". I'm not looking for much.. Just a minimum of 2 review submissions a month, for at least a few months in a row. If I can get a good response and some dedicated staff members, it will allow me to open the doors to other platforms like portables (Gameboy, GameGear, VirtualBoy and others from the 8/16-bit era or earlier) as well as expand to general articles on Emulation itself, specific Emulators, news within the emulation community, and perhaps even regular Interviews with notable people from the scene itself.

Make it clear I'm not offering money, especially in this economic climate, but I'm just hoping to appeal to the Emulation communities sense of donating their time and enthusiasm for the Emulation of classic games. I know the core of the emulation community is composed of selfless individuals who believe strongly in the "giving back to the community" philosophy, and I'm just looking for a few GOOD writers, who can deliver a couple reviews, articles, interviews, etc... Just 2 per month (or more if they can) so I can try to bring OSG up to a publishing schedule of at least 4 Issues (quarterly) or more per year.

Again I don't want anyone to just go around spamming shit on other peoples forums.. Just get permission from a MOD (you can link them to this thread to see what my intentions are) to make a request on the forum, looking for writers. Again, don't sign up anywhere to spam this, just go to other forums where you are actively involved and people KNOW you and you are in good standing.

If you get permission to post, just mention what I said above about looking for -good- writers (emphasis on good - they must have real writing skills) , who are willing to donate their time to a decent idea and want to do give back to the community by preserving the memory of classic games that didn't have fancy 3D graphics and all that jazz.

I will also be writing up some kind of press release and emailing some Emulation sites, that hopefully will be receptive and print them in a news item.

Mupen64 Man

Big fan of Mupen64
Staff member
Shoot, I will help out! Afterall, it is one of my favorite forums. Can't hurt to help bring more people to the community. :happy: I am on alot of forums, and I can ask the local mods if that will be alright. Im not that good of a writer, but Im pretty sure I can make a few moving sentences.

Last edited:

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Not sure of your level of friendship with drifter or not, but he is a good resource for that sort of thing. And I too will do my best .

Zach

I know I don't really talk to him much... feel free to steer him to this thread though.. I could definitely use help from anyone with good contacts who can reach a wide and potentially receptive audience.

Thanks for the responses so far. It means a lot, I really want to try and revitalize the project and get a steady publication going again.. It's always been a challenge to find writers.