New to this and need help.

inliner6

I'm new to emulators and have a few questions.
1. I downloaded and installed FCE Ultra and while it seems to work ok, the help page does'nt work. Where can I find the instructions for this so I can learn to use it fully?
2. My first downloaded game is Dragon Warrior and although I save my game before shutting down, the next time I go to play I have to start all over, how can I make my emulator save my progress?
3. Are there any adaptors that will allow me to hook one of my old controllers up to my computer so I can use that to play?
Thank you for any help you can offer.

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
I'm new to emulators and have a few questions.
1. I downloaded and installed FCE Ultra and while it seems to work ok, the help page does'nt work. Where can I find the instructions for this so I can learn to use it fully?
2. My first downloaded game is Dragon Warrior and although I save my game before shutting down, the next time I go to play I have to start all over, how can I make my emulator save my progress?
3. Are there any adaptors that will allow me to hook one of my old controllers up to my computer so I can use that to play?
Thank you for any help you can offer.

I see your new to emulation, I would suggest a simpler emu like jnes. If your neeed to use FCE we can help but its more sophisticated then other.

as for 3) There are lots of adapters you can buy or make. Most are on ebay. I make an all in one for example see my sig. If you are like me and want to use all of the old style controllers then its for you, if you are personal to just one, you could check out some of the how 2's or buy one on ebay. Just about every controller has an adapter now.

for question 1) I would suggest asking on a forum, like this one. Its the best place to learn.

For 2) Are you using save states or game saves ( if the game saves i.e zelda )?

Last edited:

inliner6

First of all, thank you for your quick response. I figured out what was wrong on question 2. In order to save in that particular game it's not enough to simply save in the game but when you decide to end your quest for the day you have to push and hold the "reset" button on the emulator controls to save to disk. As far as a simpler emulator goes I probably will try a simpler one as well, but I would also really like to learn this one. Was it made by a company that I can contact or are these the sort of things that are written by talented individuals who simply enjoy a challenge?

Zach

Glad you figured out your #2 problem.. Always remember, if you are required to hit reset after you save, just like on the real console - you have to do it the same way with the emulator, since it is emulating the function of the real machine and cartridge ;)

Emulators are not usually produced by companies.. Back in the day Bleem! was a PSX emulator made by a company selling retail copies, and there was also Virtual Game Station, but they came under heavy litigation from Sony and were eventually bankrupted and/or bought out.

Emulators are historically made by one or a small group of individuals with free time. Often as some kind of school project, or as a process for learning something they want to do elsewhere.

Look in the directory you unzipped FCEUltra to.. There should be some kind of TXT or HTML help file located in the base directory, or one of the subdirectories (if any).

Last edited: