my take on the "mame cabinet"

Zach

Dude if you have a legit copy of Windows, box, your own serial, etc in front of you. CALL MICROSOFT. DO not call Emachines, they are just trying to make money off of you..

If you call microsoft and tell them your hardware failed and you had to swap it out for new stuff, they should be able to give you a new CD key

Genome

north west south west
i already did that and thats how i ended up at emachines call center.

actually the only piece of emachines left in it is the f-d up operating system they handed me on the disk. i have replaced every part since then.

its okay i borrowed an external hard drive, and im borrowing a tower today. i can cook up a way to move the info i need off of the drives. then put windows xp media center edition on the hdd. then i can move the info back.

got my arcade board in the mail yesterday!
finished painting!

need the wind to stop in order to paint the speaker though. im just going to use a ton of black spray on them. but for the last 2 days there were 45mph winds all day. and tommorow it is reported for a ton of snow.

pics to come.

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
tomorrow 80d's here LOL..

Good to see your make progress. BB is going insanely well. Ill get started on your as soon as the template arrives.

Genome

north west south west
awesome:happy:

i sketched it out on paper today. cant send anything till at least monday though.

out of cash and stamps (had to use my last one to mail my natural gas bill today)

i could always make it to scale in photoshop and email it to you. whichever works best im already mailing you those nes plugs either way.

got my speakers painted. i put them inside a corndog box and crouched down on the back porch in the cold ( 31 degrees).

bought the trim for the speaks. going to paint them tonight if i can.

Genome

north west south west
a much needed update

since last weeks snowstorm the internet here hasnt wanted to work. it still doesnt but i managed to find a window in it:happy:

okay it took some real finagling but i managed to get the computer to work!!!!

which means my project is officially green lighted.

i finished the entire assembly of the box. pics will come this weekend i absolutely promise. i just have to get the camera back.

everything went together with no problems. the latch supports i was going to use for the lid wont work however, as my fan placement makes this impossible (my mistake:eek: ).
also i designed a power button that really suits the project so i have to build that and install it.

the speaks turned out great, now i just have to glue them.

i underestimated my pc parts my system actually runs as follows:
2.60 dual core processor
2 gb ram
156 mb radeon 9600xt gfx card (weak i know)

it works beautifully though, last night i was playing mario 64, mario party, and then jumped into some famicom disk system games.

the current snags are bothersome however.

i have a 250 gb hard drive which already has content on it, and i cant seem to find the right jumper combination to get my pc to recognize it correctly. im still working on this pretty actively.

and after i moved 12gb of content of my laptop (what i use for internet since it has built in wifi) and onto a friends external hard drive both computer immediatly decided they no longer want to recognize the device. so im going to get his drivers disk and see if i can recover that information.

i already looked ahead and next month i will recive 3 pay checks, so im going to go and buy a 1tb hard drive because thats in no way excessive and i need it:p
and hopefully the blissbox will soon be done it looks at though ulaoulao has had some great progress with it.

if it gets done soon enough i will wait on putting my pc in my box so i can cut the hole for it and not have to take everything back out when it comes.

im designing my panel for him at the same time im writing this so i will email that later.

what else........ah currently setting up my frontend. i chose gamex and i really think i will be happy with it. getting the extra software i need to run it right now.

pics will come soon and i think everyone will be quite pleased. the physical part of the project is basically done however i will keep adding whatever further developments are made for those intrested.

everything left now is :
transfering
moving pc into box
setting up software
adding blissbox
buying controllers
enjoying

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
i have a 250 gb hard drive which already has content on it, and i cant seem to find the right jumper combination to get my pc to recognize it correctly. im still working on this pretty actively.
- Jumpers only determin slave and master not size? Maybe it was partitioned at the factory? Post a screen shot of your disk management..

GnomeBox is under way ;)

Quickplay is better the gameEx IMO.

hope to see pics soon.

Last edited:

Genome

north west south west
i will put a pic up once i get the camera back (later today)
i used this hard drive before on a diffrent pc and it worked perfectly, it currently houses a TON of information i was counting on to go into my project.

im really stumped though no matter what jumper settings i try it seems that it all has the same result. as soon as i connect either my second hard drive or my dvd drive all of the ide devices i have disapear. my pc keeps trying to install scsi drivers and i have a feeling that it needs to do this to make it work, but right now i cant connect it to the net, not until wednesday. its like my pc refuses to have slaves.

the external hard drive that has 12 gb of my info is still in limbo. im kind of worried about that to. my friends cd that came with only had drivers for older operating systems. so that didnt help.:(

im trying out the frontend "atmoic fe" so far im pretty happy with it. i had my music and background in it in less than 5 minutes. so far so good, im going to test how it handles games today.
i did take a look at quickplay. i wasnt too crazy about the graphix. i want my frontend to make it feel like your not even on a computer. just some great dedicated machine that i found somewhere at a yard sale or something lol.

Zach

Actually if the drive is relatively old, it would have a jumper to help DOS use it. But that is very rare, esp on such a huge drive.

Some older mobos may also have a BIOS limit on what the BIOS can see. My first 4GB drive had a jumper setting to limit the partition size to 2GB for FAT16 file systems of course.

Have you tried using just the single problem drive itself? At any rate replacement drives are pretty cheap these days... 1TB SATA for just under $300 USD mmmm oh god yes :p:p:p:p

It's probably some weird quirk like your drive doesn't like one of your other drives

Genome

north west south west
keeping my promises!

i havent been on at all this week because i have been having such success (and fun) getting my frontend menus working. most things went off so far without a hitch. i did have a huge problem at one point and lost all of my work, but then when i got back to where i was i had a breakthrough and now games LOAD!!!!!
there were a few kinks though, some of the system (currenlty 3) dont load. when i open them they kill the frontend and dumbly bring me back to my desktop. i'll get them working though.
last night i had to entirely script what i wanted for nes to do because their default is to use nestopia *which i loathe* so now i have it running virtuanes with no problems.

okay here are two pics of the box.

it still needs some detail work but it should be done pretty soon.

i will host a few screenshots of my frontend working.

the biggest thing i still need is my blissbox *Hint Hint Hint Hint Hint Hint Hint Hint Hint Hint Hint Hint Hint Hint Hint Hint Hint Hint Hint Hint Hint Hint Hint Hint Hint Hint Hint Hint Hint Hint Hint Hint Hint Hint Hint Hint Hint Hint Hint Hint Hint Hint Hint Hint Hint Hint Hint Hint Hint Hint Hint Hint Hint Hint Hint Hint Hint Hint Hint Hint Hint Hint Hint Hint Hint Hint Hint Hint Hint Hint Hint Hint Hint Hint Hint Hint Hint Hint Hint Hint Hint Hint Hint Hint Hint Hint Hint Hint Hint Hint Hint Hint Hint Hint Hint Hint Hint Hint Hint Hint Hint Hint Hint Hint Hint Hint Hint Hint Hint Hint Hint Hint Hint Hint Hint Hint Hint Hint Hint Hint Hint Hint Hint Hint Hint Hint Hint Hint Hint Hint Hint Hint Hint Hint Hint Hint Hint Hint Hint Hint Hint Hint Hint *

FEEDBACK PLEASE

Genome

north west south west
Last edited:

Zach

You can't use that link, it will dump people into their own video manager, because it's not linked properly

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
i did take a look at quickplay. i wasnt too crazy about the graphix. i want my frontend to make it feel like your not even on a computer. just some great dedicated machine that i found somewhere at a yard sale or something lol.
- not sure you found the best solution yet but I saw this today.
http://www.camya.com/eccblog/
I know the site name is weird.. cam-ya ?? but its legit.

DssTrainer

Nice looking box.. but I'm a bit confused. If you are making a Joystick panel, why do you need a blissbox? Isn't a blissbox meant as a hub for using the actual gamepads? I would think what you need is an iPac/2

Zach

Having the option to use original controllers is always a bonus.. Maybe that's why he is including it

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
I'm sure gnome can answer better, but in working with him he does want the option as Zach said.

For example, I host Street Fighter comps and the one complaint I get the most is, I could have kick your so and so , if I had the original such and such controller. Granted there is little you can do to "perfect", other then getting the original set. However, it never hurt to go as far as you can. Gnome is looking to achieve just that, closes to original as posible. The only thing that will differ as the unit, well and the fact its an emu.

Isn't a blissbox meant as a hub for using the actual gamepads?
- Yes, but I'm make his a custom panel for his box.

And daym the tg16 was a tricky cut, but looks to be the best. The tricky ones always are.

Last edited:

ecc

Hi,
i dont think, that emuControlCenter is the right tool here. Ok, thats hard, because i´m the developer of emuControlCenter! :)

With emuControlCenter you can manage all your games and start them direct... but it dont support an joystik interface so far. So i dont know, if this really is usefull for a cabinet because you need an keyboard or mouse!

But emuControlCenter can fit, if you want manage your complete rom collection for 135 Systems and start each game direct with the mouse or keyboard! :)

Maybe its worth a look at it :)

http://www.camya.com/eccblog/

ecc_state_small.gif