MAME lagging issues

MKKollector

Hey Guys & Gals:

I've recently installed MAME (with reasonable success) and I've encountered certain difficulties! Mainly a lagging effect which prohibits proper play...esp. during any MK game simulator.

Thing is...up until about a week ago it was working fine with 0 problems. Now whenever the computer reaches maximum potential it cuts out and gameplay suffers.

Suggestions?

Last edited:

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
I believe Mame is a very hard drive intense emulator especially the CHD version. Sounds like something else is using up you HD, look for spy ware. Also check your running processes and make sure nothing is above 50% for a long period other then mame. If you still get the troubles right click on mame in the process window and set to high priority. This is more of a band-aid but should work.

Last edited:

MKKollector

Which priority setting do I switch it to? "High" or possibly "realtime"? Cause if it's "high" then...well it STILL doesn't fix it.

I'm still working on the spyware issue...according to my current anti-spyware program it's infection-free so....

Zach

I have never seen any evidence that mame is hard drive intensive, or even running CHD games to be hard drive intensive..

The best thing to do is dig through release notes if you have changed versions and that is when the problems started. Because more than likely they have removed old hacks that sped up the emulation and made the game play faster.. A lot of 3D based games have this issue. The developers decided a long time ago to start removing hacks and performance tweaks that didn't belong, in the interest of preserving emulation accuracy.

You can try shutting down anti-virus and every other conceivable resource hog, but if is a case of the emulation being changed and performance hacks removed, the only choice you have is to revert to an older version of MAME

Last edited:

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
I have never seen any evidence that mame is hard drive intensive, or even running CHD games to be hard drive intensive..

The best thing to do is dig through release notes if you have changed versions and that is when the problems started. Because more than likely they have removed old hacks that sped up the emulation and made the game play faster.. A lot of 3D based games have this issue. The developers decided a long time ago to start removing hacks and performance tweaks that didn't belong, in the interest of preserving emulation accuracy.

You can try shutting down anti-virus and every other conceivable resource hog, but if is a case of the emulation being changed and performance hacks removed, the only choice you have is to revert to an older version of MAME

Seems the most likely option. I'm pretty sure that the recent speed issues with MK among other games has been caused by a change to one of the sound drivers, although I can't be 100% without checking. It will probably get fixed in a future release. If you're having trouble try downloading and using an older version (somewhere between 0.107 and 0.123.

Older versions of commandline Mame can be had from the main mame.org site and old versions of Mame32/UI can be had at www.joymonkey.com

Hope that helps.

MKKollector

thanks for all the input, guys.

As soon as it's humanly possible I'll remedy the situation and get back to you all with the results...

Thx again