Legality of Emulation?

GlennArcade

I'm just wondering. I know that emulators are okay, but not the distribution of games, or piracy. So how about letting others play the games you own? Is that illegal? For example, sites like PlayRoms do not distribute their ROM files, and instead let players play the games directly on their browser (as compared to Emuparadise which distributes the ROMS). And if they legally own the games, does that make everything legal? What are your thoughts?

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
Playing a game online, the way you describe it, is no different than downloading a game.

GlennArcade

Playing a game online, the way you describe it, is no different than downloading a game.
Really? I fail to see it that way. But it might just be me. For me, it's the same as having a friend come over to my house to play my game on my console. But tbh, I don't know if that's really legal. lol I don't read those EULAs.

Last edited:

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
Practically it is the same, instead of downloading the game and running it locally, you have it run in your web browser.

And yes, inviting a friend at your house, to play with you, or having them borrow a physical copy is fine as well, until at least all console games go 100% digital.

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
same as having a friend come over to my house to play my game on my console.
More like, same as having a thief come over to your house and letting you play his stolen copy.

Though, I'm pretty sure the website actually downloads a part or the entire game to your system? So in affect your were planted with stolen property. Ignorance is not an accepted albeit . If you are streaming it, thats just like streaming a movey on KODE. I do not see how any of this is legal.

Last edited: