I'm looking for someone with knowledge (& patience) of nintendo emulators for my xbox

floydman726

I'm looking for someone with knowledge (& patience) of nintendo emulators for my xbox

I'm a (frustrated) n00b and I'm not afraid to admit it. I've read as many threads as possible and I'm still a little lost. One thing I have learned is that, in order for someone to be able to properly assist me; you need as much info as possible. So here you go: I have the following file managers (?)
evox, avalaunch, dvd2xbox, xbmc, and xbmp.

emus:adamx, z26x, neogenesis, pcsxbox, fceultrax, xsnes9x, and surreal64.

On my PC I have whatever DVD burner came with it. FTP isn't an option.

I have tried and tried to burn the roms to a dvd+r, dvd-r, cd-r, and cd-rw and nothing works. The xbox recognizes the disk (sometimes), but never recognizes the roms.

What am I doing wrong? Any help (and patience) would be greatly appreciated.

onewecallgod

Re: I'm looking for someone with knowledge (& patience) of nintendo emulators for my

Which DVD drive does your Xbox have? For the most part, CD-Rs just don't work and DVD-Rs are the way to go, but Google will help you decide which brand and medium works best for the drive you have.

Also, why isn't FTP an option? It saves CDs and allows you to directly get to the HDD.

When using the file manager, can you see the DVD and its contents? If so, it might just be a matter of you not copying the roms to the right place.

floydman726

Re: I'm looking for someone with knowledge (& patience) of nintendo emulators for my

my xbox has a Phillips DVD drive.
FTP isn't an option because we're in a recession and I'm pretty sure I would need to buy some kind of hardware and wiring. That, and I'm not that tech savy and IP address and ISO's (whatever they are) scare me.
When I burn the DVD or CD, I title it 'NES Roms'. Sometimes when I put it in the tray, it reads the title, but shows 0 MB of info. Other times it won't see anything. If I could see them, I know I would need to save them to the emulators rom folder.

onewecallgod

All you need for FTP is an ethernet cable. Chances are, your computer's network card will autonegotiate crossover, so you can just use a regular cable. If you could manage to hack your Xbox, then FTP'ing into it will be a piece of cake. Here's a very good guide with step by step instructions:
http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/213943

Most likely if it shows 0MB for the disk, it doesn't like the brand or type of CD/DVD you used. Now are you convinced FTP is the way to go?

floydman726

If by hacking my xbox, you meant paying a friend of a friend to do it for me, then, yes, I hacked my xbox.

After several hours and many cigarettes later, I managed to FTP my PC to xbox, so thanks for the nudge in that direction.

I transfered NES, SNES, and N64 roms to my xbox. For the most part, I can play all games when I access the proper emulator through xbmc. Could it be that the roms are not saved in the proper locations? Here's where I put them:
NES - F:/emulators/fceultra/roms
SNES - F:/emulators/xsnes9x/roms
N64 - F:\games\roms

onewecallgod

Sorry, but I think I'm misunderstanding your post. Do you mean you can't play all the games?

If that's the typo, then it's probably because the filename of the ROM contains characters that the emulator doesn't like. For example, if I recall correctly, surreal64 won't recognize ROMs if they have spaces in the file names and/or the file names are too long (I can't remember which, but it could be both, or neither, but it's definitely something obnoxious like that).

floydman726

Sort of. There are shortcuts to the emulators from the evo dashboard. when I use those shortcuts, I am not able to play any games on any emulator.
If I access the emulators through xbmc, I can play all NES games, some SNES, and some N64 games.
If it's the case of the spaces in the file names and the length of the file names, can I change the files to work?

onewecallgod

That must be something else entirely different then. Does the emulator even run from the Evo dashboard? Or does it run, but show nothing is in game folders?

floydman726

I'm guessing that it's the evox dash. When I turn my xbox on, I get a menu with "play game or dvd, xbmp, xbmc, play games from hdd, avalaunch, self-installed emulators, game trainers, etc." I select "self-installed emulators", then select an emulator from there. The emulators run. FCE doesn't show the games, xsnes doesn't show the games, and surreal 64 shows the display boxes, but won't play the games.