I need some wireless help!

albac0re

My wireless controller is great, but I can't get it to work with an emulator :mad:

Has anyone else ran into a problem using a wireless PS2 controller with a USB/PS2 adapter? (more specifically, Logitech's Cordless Action Controller) Any tips about 'cross system' wireless inputs useful also.

I bought a USB/PS2 adapter today and wanted to use my Logitech Cordless Action Controller, but i plugged the controller receiver up to the adapter and no go. the computer wouldn't find the controller. when I plug the adapter in, Windows tells me the new hardware is ready to use, and sure enough, when i plug a wired controller in, it works fine. So my question is: Has anyone else ran into a problem using a wireless PS2 controller with a USB/PS2 adapter? (more specifically, Logitech's Cordless Action Controller) Any tips about 'cross system' wireless inputs will be greatly appreciated.

So far, done the following to try to get it to work:

- Ran the driver disk that came with the adapter
- Downloaded and installed a comparable driver from Logitech's site for the controller (PC wireless controller that looks very similar)
- Rebooted
- Tested the wireless controller in a PS2 (it works fine)

Additional information:

- When the receiver dongle is plugged into the adapter, the receiver's indication LED flashes as if it is searching for a controller. Likewise, the controller's indication LED is also flashing as if it is searching for a receiver, but neither ever connects to one another.

From that information, It feels to me like the the PS2's controller ports are configured so they automatically have the receiver accept a controller (or something) while the PC just sits there because it does not know how to handle the lack of controller. But thats just some general speculation.

Again anyone with any knowledge on the subject would be a big help.

Thanks!

Zach

I've never heard of an adapter needing drivers..

I'm thinking the wireless base needs more voltage than either the USB port, or adapter can provide

albac0re

I've never heard of an adapter needing drivers..

I'm thinking the wireless base needs more voltage than either the USB port, or adapter can provide

Yeah, when I installed the adapter's drivers it was more of a last ditch effort. I had tried wired controllers before installing the drivers, and they worked fine.

The point regarding voltage is very interesting. However, visibly, the wireless receiver is doing what it is supposed to do when it doesn't detect a controller. I tested the receiver in a PS2 with the controller's batteries absent, at which point, the receiver's LED flashed in the same way it does when both the receiver is attached to the computer and the controller has batteries.

UPDATE: While testing the controller with a PS2, I saw my wireless Guitar Hero receiver in the other controller port and thought "hey! lets try that in the computer!". I plugged it in and the computer recognized it as some kind of input. (The USB/PS2 adapter I have has 2 controller ports from 1 USB port) I went to unplug the guitar receiver and saw that the logitech wireless controller's receiver was now flashing as if it was doing something useful and what do you know? The logitech controller now works fine ONLY if the wireless guitar receiver is plugged into the other PS2 port. Freakin weird. If that clues anyone into an answer to my original question, please let me know. I'd like to be able to not use the guitar receiver to make the controller work.