HELP PLEASE

Mr.x

I just downloaded a rom but I had to download it in a bunch of parts giving me a bunch of RAR files. Does anyone know how I can get these files into one file so that I can play the game? :(

Jale

First, make sure all parts are in the same directory. Open the first rar file (.rar or .part01.rar), extract the ROM and the rest of the parts will be extracted automatically (the parts will join), but remember to keep all parts into the same directory.

alcoatjez

Capo di Tutti Capi
Thanks a lot, turns out I didn't have one of the parts installed or something. :eek:

Be sure to check if you have all parts. Are there any other files with your download, such as .par or par2 files? You can use these to repair your download if it's damaged or missing files. Use QuickPar to do this.

Zach

This is why I hate downloading junk broken up into parts.. So many programs have resume features built-in parts should be obsolete by now. I wish people who release this crap would get a clue

alcoatjez

Capo di Tutti Capi
The PAR2 system is still very useful for UseNet downloads. There the problem is that people with bad connection sometimes only upload a file for 90% or so. PAR2 is ideal for repairing these kinds of downloads.
I also use it for my backups. When I backup ISOs, I always burn 10% PAR files with them. Should the DVD become scratched, I can try to repair it with PARs.

Zach

That's fine but they have no business in the torrent and other P2P networks. It's risky and inefficient for peer to peer transfer imho

alcoatjez

Capo di Tutti Capi
True. With P2P files should only be compressed to make transfers faster. There's no need to compress in parts.

Jale

What pissed me off is that when I downloaded Sonic Adventure 2 for Dreamcast, the file was divided in parts, but not only that. It was in a format like .000, .001, .002... I tried to open it with WinRAR and it said it's an incompatible format. And what is worse, the image was in .daa format. Who the fuck uses .daa when the standard is .iso, .nrg, .bin/.cue, etc?

Fucking people should get stabbed to death! :angry:

alcoatjez

Capo di Tutti Capi
You should be able to open those files with WinRAR, it's only that those files aren't associated with the program automatically.
BTW, DreamCast dumps should be in the GDI format for emulators or CDI for a real DreamCast ;)

Jale

I tried WinRAR and 7-Zip and both of them said it's an incompatible format. I had no choice but to download another torrent.

Also, it was a CD-ROM (no GD-ROM) with downsampled music and all that compression to reduce space.