Exploring Encapsulation and Access Modifiers

kulluM

I've been experimenting with Java classes and discovered the ideas of encapsulation and access modifiers. I feel I have a strong understanding of the fundamentals, but I'm having some issues with the implementation. Here's a bit of code I wrote to show encapsulation and access modifiers:

Java:
// Class with encapsulated fields and access modifiers
class Person {
    private String name; // Encapsulated private field

// Getter method for name
    public String getName() {
        return name;
    }

// Setter method for name
    public void setName(String newName) {
        name = newName;
    }
}

// Main class to demonstrate encapsulation
public class Main {
    public static void main(String[] args) {
        Person person = new Person();
        person.setName("John");
        System.out.println("Name: " + person.getName()); // Output: "Name: John"
    }
}

While attempting to create encapsulation and access modifiers, I found many issues.

Encapsulation Error: Although I designated the name field as private to accomplish encapsulation, I'm not sure whether I did it right. Could you please explain how to achieve adequate encapsulation of class fields in Java?

Access Modifier Confusion: Despite utilizing the public access modifier for getter and setter methods, I am unsure if this is the best option. Should I use a separate access modifier for these methods, and if so, which one would be most appropriate in this context?

Getter and Setter Functionality: While the getter and setter methods look to be working well, I'm not sure if there are any further features or validations I need add to these methods to improve their functionality. Do you have any ideas for enhancing the implementation of getter and setter methods in Java classes?

Code Readability Improvements: Although the code uses encapsulation and access modifiers, I'd need recommendations on how to enhance its readability and maintainability. I read about it in that article but still need help. Are there any changes or improvements I should make to make the code more succinct and understandable?

Your knowledge and thoughts on tackling these difficulties would be extremely helpful in improving my grasp of encapsulation and access modifiers in Java classes.