Can't figure out CDRom Problem

ironius

Ok, so I've done all the steps. I have the actual game(the origional Final Fantasy 7, PSX version), I got the emulator(ePSXe), I have the bios(bios\SCPH1001.BIN for North America), I have the GPU plugin(Pete's OpenGL Driver 1.76), the SPU plugin(ePSXe SPU core 1.5.2.) and my CDRom setup is ePSXe CDR ASPI core 1.5.2. Now, according to the tutorial that was made a sticky by Leerz for the "General ePSXe Setup and Configuration", I am supposed to be able to choose my CDRom drive from the drop down list, but instead mine is blank. So to troubleshoot this, I downloaded P.E.Op.S. CDR Driver 1.4 and Pete's CDR ASPI/IOCTL Driver 1.11 cd plugins, but I ran into some mumbo jumbo about a SBI/M3S file, so I read up on it and just heard people saying to get the isos by downloading stuff like "Alchohol 120%" in order to create this file or something(which I don't understand since that is only used if you don't have the actual game) which I did, but apparently alchohol 120% can't create the image file for Final Fantasy 7, just a heck of alot of other games, and then I heard people saying to instead just use the "PPF patch file", so I looked that up for final fantasy 7 and couldn't find it. Heck, I even downloaded stupid bitorrent which I didnt really understand and couldn't find it. Anywho, there should be an easier fix to this other than all this side tracking. I figured since I had bought the damn game this would be easier. Anyways, my bios is functioning, the video plugin is functioning, sound is really messed up but I'll download another plugin for that later. So anyways, I concluded that it must be since I run Vista home premium that this wasn't working, so I read up on it and found out you could right click on an item, go to properties and to compatibility and change to run in Windows XP SP2, which I did, and still nothing is different. Also, I would like to include I downloaded frogaspi to fix the ASPI layer problem mabober. Anywho, long story short, everything works fine as far as I know, just my computer isn't detecting the cd or something with the emulator in my Drive E. What happens is when I go to File> Run CdRom, I just get a big black screen that pops up(very smooth btw :happy:). Really, I would give whoever helps me resolve this a big fat kiss cause I wasted a good 4 hours trouble shooting it this Friday night.

Edit: Forgot to include my system specs:
CPU: Dual Core pentium processor 1.46 mhz.
GPU: Intel integrated chip 940 or 960 set(forgot which).
RAM: 1 gb(not sure what kind, this is a laptop from gateway.

Last edited:

ironius

Ok, for an unknown reason, I am now able to select 1:0:0 Optiarc DVD RW AD-7563A WX05 for the CDRom drive for ePSXe CDR ASPI core 1.5.2. However, I am still getting a black screen whenever I hit Run CDRom. Any help?

ironius

64 people have viewed this and noone has replied? I know this can't be that complex of an issue. Need assistance!

seether9111

ummmm i forget
I think maybe you should rip the game with Alcohol 120% as an iso image, then use your favorite burning software to burn as an image to the disc,

I have had this exact same issue with FFVII, so now I play them from iso;)

HOPE THIS HELPS:)

BTW Im pretty sure alcohol 120% is what I used, or maybe isobuster...one of those two will create image files for FFVII

Last edited:

Zach

I'm pretty sure Alcohol can at least make either a BIN or ISO file...

But WTF... rip the disc, then burn the image file to another disc? That's a fucking waste... and I don't see how that would improve anything.. IF your gonna use an image file just keep it on the hard drive.. why store it on a CD? you'll still be limited by the drive speed and could get possible stuttering issues, etc...

Anyway.. I believe the easiest option to play games is to use a CD image.. be it ISO, BIN/CUE, or some other format that can be loaded by the emulator / CD image plugins out there.. (alcohols native formate is MDS/MDF for instance, ClondeCD is .CCD I think)

I alway shave problems when trying to use CD-Roms to play games on CD based systems.. So give disc images a try.. You can make them with Alcohol like has been said.. Or you could try another ISO making program if you want..

No matter what image format you end up with.. you can always use Alocohol, Power ISO, or Daemon-Tools virtual drives to mount those images as "real" CD-ROMs on your computer, and use the Virtual Drive in your emulator instead of your Physical Drive.

PPF files are PlayStation Patch Files. They are used to patch ISO's and I don't know why they came about or what they are used for.. most links to explanations seem dead through google, also.. perhaps someone can come up with some better search terms and find a good page about them.

Last edited:

seether9111

ummmm i forget
thats what worked for me, the actual psx discs wouldnt work. After ripping the images and burning with CloneCd they work!!

maybe I am doing something wrong, but it worked for me though:)

BTW Zach... playing from images is the way to go!!

Zach

Yeah I agree, Images at the best when emulating... I wish I could solve my own problem of burned images having messed up CDA (CD audio) tracks though.. I had a thread about it a long time ago.. Never could figure it out.. Some games just flat out no music, some games it would skip like the disc was scratched to hell.. But always played fine in an emulator via disc image..

haha... thats why I steer clear of PSX emulation these days..

I have the PC version of FF7 anyway.. so when I want to play I just use the PSF music patch to use the original PlayStation music, and use anti-aliasing and the game looks better than, but sounds just as good as the PSX version... Only trouble is Square were morons and never re-encoded the movies for high-res PC monitors and resolutions.. So they always look like a stretched up movie no matter what resolution.