Burning Anything

insanemaniak

This User Is Insane
Whenever i try to Burn anything to a blank cd, it stops half way through and says check if disk is scratched or dirty, it isn't any of them since i only just unseal the cds before i put them in my cd drive.

Any idea how to fix this?

Zach

Have you tried using another burner in the same machine? If possible borrow one from a friend. Otherwise your only choice is to try alternative burning programs. Probably a dying drive with possible lens damage.

insanemaniak

This User Is Insane
I fixed it somehow, i first cleaned the lens, that made the burner go half way through then stop, then about half an hour later / 4 more cds wasted i went onto properties on the cd drive menu and changed the burner speed from fastest to 4x (changed it to the same speed setting on Alcohol 120%) and it worked like a charm, yet to test with music like, but i reckon it'll be fine...

Zach

Well that's different.. Sounds more like you bought cheap CD's or if they are brand name, got a bad batch... I can't see it being bad brand name batch though, because no respectable brand has a failure rate THAT high per pack.

Jale

Check the disc's label. You'll see it's supported speed printed on it. For example, if you try to burn a 32X disc at 56X, it will come out bad.

Epsi

Zoo Keeper
correct me if im wrong, but you cant burn cds faster than the blank cds max rated speed. as far as i know in nero it only shows the cds max allowed burn speed, same with dvds.

Zach

There are ways to get around that.. Nero does some sort of testing thing to estimate I believe.. Anyway it's quite possible to burn discs at their rated speed and they still fail. I've had it happen before.

Epsi

Zoo Keeper
I have a Sony 18x dvd burner, and only use Verbatim 16x blank dvds. I can honestly tell you i havent had any "bad" disks.

Zach

It all depends on the brand and how cheaply they are made. Not everyone is going to get bad discs anyway.