The ultimate controller box has begun AKA Bliss-Box

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
The boards have arrived and aren't they sexy.

the board its self
SDC11741.JPG

and the wired board
guide.JPG
this is the color wiring for the do it your selfers.

Also I have a painted box frame, looks nice!
SDC11749.JPG

SDC11748.JPG

Last edited:

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Wow that is the second person that said that.. LOL, well no it would never work that way. Its a plastic box, and it does have a texture. I sort of like it, as I hate plane, but it can be filed down.

I could not think of a cool design, was thing of a few Nintendo characters but everything I though of seemed to tacky, so I left it all black. Ideas welcome.

Leerz

Pinoy Ako!
wow, this is the only thread that made me login back
man, I want this, but I feel it's too pricey for me (but I do understand for how it turned out that way)

I'm currently using boards posted at emulatronia, handcrafted with love and works wall(directpad and through the parallel port).

I might get this, will have to check garage sales for those old controllers.

Zach

I think texture is OK, just not that texture ;)

Smooth black would suck and get real dirty easily... But something textured, more like the general plastic you get with Speakers, keyboards, mice, etc might be the way to go.

As for art.. Why not hire someone to do a bliss box logo for the top of the unit, and money permitting, have it printed silk screen onto the top of the unit covers.

That would look sweet.

aevans0001

Well I ordered my controller and am so anxious to get it...... Sounds like things are going pretty good with version 1..... Can't wait for Version 2 and Rumble support and everything else...

aevans0001

Well I recieved my Blissbox today and let me tell you so far this board is As Advertised. I figured it would work about 80% but so far it has worked 99%, the only hiccup I have seen so far is the Atari Paddles, which is more than likely just me not knowing how to set them up...

I have tested SNES, N64, Sega, Atari Joysticks, Atari Driving controllers, and Commodore 64

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
My fault on the paddles...

First I have to admit I forgot you wanted them. but for readers consider this.

1) paddles are not part of bliss-box, they are add ons. And beta.
2) most emulators dont support them for example see stella link
3) most paddles are worn down to nothing and hard to clean.
4) you need to request this upon design, or use my paddle add-on adapter ( plugs in to neo-geo or psx)
5) I have 2 beta testers so far, hope to improve this.

--------------- ok in the news...

a bit of a change in analog design. Turns out a fully filled bar in the game controller app means 0... Yeah? What sort of crack is m$ smoking? See picture for illustration. So if the trigger / button / slider is fully pressed the bar is empty.. Call my crazy, but that just seem backwards.
fully.JPG

also - Guitar Hero is officially supported

Last edited:

aevans0001

Well I recieved my Blissbox today and let me tell you so far this board is As Advertised. I figured it would work about 80% but so far it has worked 99%, the only hiccup I have seen so far is the Atari Paddles, which is more than likely just me not knowing how to set them up...

I have tested SNES, N64, Sega, Atari Joysticks, Atari Driving controllers, and Commodore 64

Ok just to update I also tested the NES controllers today....

All seems well so far... WIll right up full review later...

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Hey aevans0001, always good to here reviews.

-- update time --

I was doing a bit of thinking and thought hmmmmm. how nice would that be to switch controllers during game play. Of course this will work just fine if I install a reset button, but what about the controller button to HID assignments. This would mess things up a bit since start on the n64 is not start on the snes and so on. Then I decided to work out a universal layout that would match up most of the common buttons. Like start(nes) is to pause(3d0) is to run(tg16) and etc..

notes: I left some blank HID assignments to match things up better, and its ok to skip hid assignments like that, but I try not to. Also there may be some missing layouts, and if you spot them let me know. For example I did not include jaguar pro, mainly because I dont have one.

So, How did I do? what do you suggest?

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0ArBG6DmpiFU3dG5UN0xaakxEaFVFYjBzOGlyOXJyTnc&hl=en

For example and another way of putting this would be to say, if you were playing sega, and wanted to use an nes controller, whats the preferred button to button matching.

Also.. a way to change players..

here is a big problem for me.. but here is the answer.

http://www.wingmanteam.com/latest_software/gadgets.htm#JoyIDs_Utility:

Go to this link and download JoyID It will allow you to change HID joystick HID ID's So if you have a 2 player box and cant just change controllers with the guy next to you and would like the left side of the box to be player 1 and the right side to be player 2, you can ;) Its not a hard app to use, just follow the help that comes with it.

Last edited:

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
From aevans0001

This looks like a better way of doing things. problem you will run into with that though is like Intellivision with 16 directions..... So this would take away the reset button on mine or the unplugging and plugging back in issue?
- in response to the global button idea.

No this wont take your rest button away, this is the reset button, so you in affect have it already. Now explain a bit , how would this hurt the 16 directions? The directions wont change any. Up on intelivision will be up on atari, will be up on n64, etc.... So in theory you could use the inteli to play n64, or n64 to play intelevision( with out the #pad). And you could even use a coleco on intelevision but only have 8 directions in that case. Although that is a limitation to the controller.

Thx for the comments and insisting on the intelivsion controller. You are the only one that really did so. I think in the end this will be very helpful to the project. Mainly since I have had no one test it for me. If I ever get the change to have a version 1 for testing I maybe able to crunch the code down and officially add it. I know your sending one, but dont want to keep it on you for any longer then needed.

____update, Again do to Evens inquire I added the atari keypad officially. Do to a resistor ( pull up ) I was able to detect it, so there is no need to hold down buttons and force detection.

AlsoI added vectrex to the list. its does require a db9 adapter do to the choice of pinout it uses. The adapter is simple to make will be drawing it up on my page soon.

And 2.0 has officially started, I have decided to move the global buttons to 2.0 since there are a lot of hid assignment changes and some may not want this. So 1.0 will not have this feature. Also I'm staring to make controllers use FFB, started with psx, the easy one... Stay tuned going to be slow and coming.. Going to work on n64 ruble and mempacks next.

Last edited:

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Yeah, 2.0 is moving along. Getting closer to FFB working and So far the 2.0 will work as an XBOX but there is a snag in there as well. I also added the ability to now change the controller without needing a reset. When you unplug a controller, it goes in to auto pause mode, then you just plug in the new controller and it will re detect it. With the new button mapping code I added, this would allow you to play with snes, for example, then change it out for an nes in the game.

I have my own forums now, still building it but its ready for posting. Also toying with a Zelda addition finish.
gold-zelda.JPG
the idea here was to go for a Zelda gold addition. Could not think of a way to put a Zelda logo on there that would not get me in to trouble. Figure it would be hard to claim this is trade marked. If the tri's were gold, than may be.

Also, though it'd be cool to see how one does on ebay Not bad so far..

Last edited:

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Just going to update some need info on this thread and unless I get any reply to it, i'll put this one to rest.

2.0 is complete but I'm going to keep it in beta for some time.
FFB is done and working great ( I need a linux user to test it yet )
The XBOX version needed to be on its own platform so there is no switching, either XBOX, 1.0, or 2.0.
Added support for a lot more controllers.

Manny many more changes.
paddles are now back on the menu. I found a way to do this in ave so I dont need to make fag boys boards. INFO
7800 and 5200 are now added. INFO
Saturn is completely refined. Now even supports the wheel.

Last edited:

M.afaqanjum228

I know we all have different opinions and such, as we each are entitled to ore own. I ask kindly, let?s keep this post for the people that are interested. There really is no need for ?Oh that?s stupid, just do this?, Or ?Oh that will never happen,

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Hi M.afaqanjum228, I'm not sure what reply's you are referring to but I do appreciate the confidence. Of course it is quite a success and certainly does work. That or people like sending me lots of money for nothing ;p

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
So the day has come.

An old buddy of mine (Raphael Assena) has contacted me about my rumble code. He has set plans to implement this and memory pack reading. The plan is a trade of efforts. In exchange for the rumble code he hopes to work out the mempack reading with me. His idea is a bit different then I originally planned. His idea is to enter a mode at which the data can be read form computer to pack or visa versa. The downfall here is that you need to do this before you use the data. For example before you start the emulators. It would be much like saving you data to a disk and going to a friends house. You then put the data on his system and play... Though the plus is that is can be done via vender requests and no need for mass storage. Also you would be able to use saved data from the n64 this way as well and of course emulator data to n64.

Last edited:

Elven

As I said in my P.M I would be more than happy to help out with Website design/Layout. Also I wish to add that this project is awesome, but you already know that. If there is anything I can do to help please let me know (I have to much time).