Computer making Beeping noise

JoshM22

Alright some of the older computers actually make a audible beeping noise when booting up. This can be heard with out headphones too by the way. Now Every night around 11 or 12 the computer will make this beeping sound for no reason at all. I actually wonder if the hard drive or something inside is about to over heat? It just did it ten minutes prior me posting this.

I am posting this just to ask for a list of reasons why this could go on. Somone once told me that i could have a virus but have been doing virus checks once a week and nothing comes up. Help would be much appreciated on this one.

Desert Drifter

Out From Under A Rock..
My EVOL 486 piece of crap did that once, beeping at random times during the day and nights, but messed with the inside PC speaker wires and never did again until I ripped some cards out down the line, though guess pin pointed it's source once again before I literally "hacked" my PC with a battle-ax... Yeah - was a terrorist back in the days of my late teens as along went a crappy monitor out a three-story window... :p

Last edited:

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Beeps are bois specific. Most of the time they mean warnings. Yes you normally have them beep at boot up, but they can occur doing operation. This usually points to cpu or other chips over heating. Not normally a HD, but I wont rule it out. The reason i say that is that you can't check the heat of a HD with an sata or ide ribbon cable. Also the bois wont know what HD is where.

Best to check your bois manual or look it up online "beep codes" - bios name. although Desert Drifter's methode may work its not the best practice ;)

Last edited:

Desert Drifter

Out From Under A Rock..
Yeah, could be anything, though mine was a loose in-speaker wire, but after you turn your PC off, open it up and see if it's extremely hot. My 486 had three fans to keep it from constant "over-heating", so maybe another fan might do the trick too...

Best to check your bois manual or look it up online "beep codes" - bios name. although Desert Drifter's methode may work its not the best practice ;)

Heh, that was an "attempt" to "fix" a glitchy motherboard and an evil monitor... ;)

Last edited:

MCP

Banned
Hi there, have a look at this...

BIOS Beep Sound core list

AWARD BIOS

1 short(Beep) System booting is normally.
2 short(Beep) CMOS setting error
1 long - 1 short(Beep) DRAM ERROR
1 long - 2 short(Beep) Display card or monitor connected error
1 long - 3 short(Beep) Keyboard Error
1 long - 9 short(Beep) ROM Error
Long(Beep) continuous DRAM hasn't inset correctly.
Short(Beep) continuous POWER supply has problem.

AMI BIOS

1 short(Beep) DRAM Flash Error
2 short(Beep) DRAM ECC Check Error
3 short(Beep) DRAM Detect Fail
5 short(Beep) CPU Error
6 short(Beep) Keyboard Error
8 short(Beep) Display card memory Error
9 short(Beep) ROM Error
1 long - 3 short(Beep) DRAM Damage
1 long - 8 short(Beep) Display card or monitor connected error
:glare:

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
I believe those are a list of post beep codes. (during boot) He is describing a beep during use, like a warning he has turned on in bios.

BTW, sometimes HD's can make a beeping, and its not actually a beep. It's a head re-zeroing or accessing. Also its a sign the drive will crash. May want to back up important data.

Last edited:

JoshM22

I posted this on JITF.bootleg forum and they said it was my stickey keys not beign turned on. I turned them on and presto the problem went away. I stay on my computer all day if i can and no beeping at all anymore. What is the purpose of stickey keys anyway? Never heard of them lol.

JoshM22

I believe those are a list of post beep codes. (during boot) He is describing a beep during use, like a warning he has turned on in bios.

BTW, sometimes HD's can make a beeping, and its not actually a beep. It's a head re-zeroing or accessing. Also its a sign the drive will crash. May want to back up important data.

I have been looking at a backup external hard drives in the paper lately. How loud are most external hard drives fans? As loud as a lap top hard drive? If that is the case then yeah i will have to get one. Maybe just a 160 gig portable drive will do the trick for backing up. My dad built the computer i am using now and it is nearly 5 years old every single component is that old except the internet card or w/e.

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
I have been looking at a backup external hard drives in the paper lately. How loud are most external hard drives fans? As loud as a lap top hard drive? If that is the case then yeah i will have to get one. Maybe just a 160 gig portable drive will do the trick for backing up. My dad built the computer i am using now and it is nearly 5 years old every single component is that old except the internet card or w/e.
- I have a 1 TB and its about as loud as a vga fan. I love it! I think its a Seagate, ill have to check.

Last edited:

Zach

Most hard drives today are very silent. I can't comment on external drives in particular as I have never owned one (hope to some day when storage costs go down in the future). Seagate in particular, however, is widely recognized for the quietness of its hard drives, right down to the head noise (read/write activity)

I remember when I was a young teen, I used to love certain HDD sounds. Drives that made that hollow metallic sound (like the echo from the inside of a can or something?) always drove me nuts; I loved it. I guess cause you could tell "it was working" or some mental attachment like that.

These days even with your PC tower next to you, or relatively close / on the floor it is hard to hear any kind of drive activity.. Thankfully the same is true of CD/DVD Burners now also..

My very first CD-ROM was pretty quiet, but defective for whatever reason.. I just couldn't get it to work.. It was a christmas gift too, which bummed me out.. My dad had to take it back to some store that was I think around an hour or more away.. I noticed the price of a CD-ROM/Sound Card combo had dropped significantly (I would have asked for that instead) but they told him he'd have to get the drive exchanged for another one... What the hell is wrong with getting a refund, or exchanging and then paying the difference? Fuckers.. My first sound card would have to wait... another year or two.

Anyway the drive he brought home was the devil incarnate.. I was so happy I didn't care, and I know it had something to do with my case and the screws too, but this thing was EVIL.. Some discs were ok or respectable, but most would spin up and the drive would go mmmmmmMMMRRRRRRRRRRRR, almost like listening to an electric engraver. The whole case would sometimes vibrate with it, and I would have to grab the thing and push the sides together to help quiet it down.. The good news was, I could finally buy CD-ROM games.. Of course the first one I got was ULTIMATE DOOM, hehe.. Luckily I found it on sale at Staples, complete box and papers, etc.. None of that jewel case repack shit to save $. It was only $10. I bought it and that night I didn't go to bed at all. Later I did major chores to save up and buy DOOM ][ from Best Buy for about $25 thanks to a coupon... Man those were the days

It was only an 8x drive! Unbelievable. Finally after all these years I own a DVD burner that is very quiet and gives almost no noise.. When I have the spare cash (probably have to wait for birthday $) I am going to replace it with the same drive (or a better model if available) as my brother has now. A Samsung SATA burner.. This drive is damn near SILENT even when burning at full speed.

Oh how the times have changed... My first hard drive was a MASSIVE monster that took up TWO 5.25" drive bays on my old standard IBM AT case. For a whopping 10MB of storage space....... Back then I still didn't know how to read space properly and went nuts thinking I had a 1 Gigabyte drive (It HAD to be, I mean the drive is HUGE, when most only take up one 5.25" bay!)

My grandfather soon correct me though....haha

Last edited:

Desert Drifter

Out From Under A Rock..
Times sure have changed these days, as PCs run pretty quite, even with the PIII I have now, with also using two Seagate brand hard drives and two 52x CD-ROMS.

I remember back when I had my PI 240, between the power supply and two hard drives, it sounded like my Hummer revving up in the morning. That thing would even vibrate the floor, living at a thin-floored apartment at the time with down-stairs neighbors must of drove them nuts, though never complained...

As for hard drives making that hollow metallic sound, hey - remember that Zach. ;) Jeeze pal, I even loved that rough running laptop I had back in the early 90s, (a 1987 Toshiba), and smell of a floppy cooking in the disk drive. Damn, I remember some cold nights in New Jersey and used it to keep warm as the thing would generate heat as of a radiator, but cheaper in my opinion... Don't miss those days, as for Arizona has a thing called "central" air and heat instead of window air-conditioners and those damn bulky radiators of death - even cracked my head on one back when I was eight due to horse-play...

Last edited:

JoshM22

Well the beeping noise actually came back. I guess i will never know what the problem really is since my Dad will not help me even though he is the one that built this COMP. Turning on Stickey keys didn't do the trick. After i get a stable job a 500 gig backup drive will be the thing to get. How much is the 1 TB drive Desert Drifter?

Zach

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148239

Two of those would get you the same space as 1TB for about $50 less as far as Seagate goes, and it comes with USB 2.0, which their 1TB model doesn't.

Personally I don't think a hard drive is causing your beeping problems (I've never had a PC beep on any of my drive failures), but if you're going to buy a new one anyway, why not just buy a new internal one. Or I suppose you could comprimise and get a 500gb internal and a 500gb external.

internal 1Tb's are something around $200 - $250 now also depending on where you look.

JoshM22

I will more than likely just use this one until it dies. Internal will be the way to go for me. I can't have anymore noisy hard drives in my room. Kinda hard to hear music over the hard drive i have now lol. My family says it sounds like a jet engine and it does. However that is one of the two fans i have inside of it. I am use to it now though, so its cool.

Yeah a 500 giger will do it for me. I mean that is more than enough space for movies,my ever so growning music library,games and software.

Zach

Just how do you get a fan inside your hard drive... ? Or did you mean inside the PC. In any case, adding a modern hard drive isn't gonna make anything noisy.. Just what kind of computer is this?

Last edited:

Desert Drifter

Out From Under A Rock..
Like Zach mentioned - shouldn't be any noise problem with newer hard-disks, though older machines are known to be quite "noise-makers", but if your running PJ64, then you should have a PIII or higher, so shouldn't be a problem as it should run a lot quieter. If there's that much noise coming from your PC, the only thing I can think of is that your CPU is running a quite bit hard, maybe "lessing" up some "un-needed" applications might help as they run that power-supply's fan of yours harder to keep up with the speed and temperature...

About the beeping... could be anything. A BIOs reading error, over-heating, or maybe a loose plug in the back of your PC... ;) As for hard-drive failure... they never let you know when they just "had it" as they just don't start-up the next boot. Internal hard-drives are probably best, but if your using it just for storage, try getting a thumb-drive or flash drive to horde those files of yours - hence being much cheaper and reliable... ;)

Last edited:

Zach

hell the only thing I know that will make a PC sound like a jet engine, is the infamous Delta 7000 RPM fan people used to mount on their CPU coolers back during the race to break the 1ghz barrier and beyond.

People likened it to having a 747 take off in their bedroom