Can i get my old hard drive and format it to be an external drive??

Jale

At least post something, not just "please reply" or you'll be banned.

What do you mean by "external drive"? Is it a normal "internal" one by any chance?

bori305

Its a question so i just want replies posted TY. and yes its an internal hard drive but i dont want to install it in my computer. is there a way to rig it

Jale

I think making it as an external device is, let's say, harmful for the hard drive.

GHDpro

Administrator
Staff member
As Zach already implied, it's no problem to take out your internal harddrive and put it into a external enclosure. I've done so in the past several times, when I bought larger capacity internal drives and put the older smaller ones in external enclosures.

Just make sure you got the right type and size enclosure. If the HD is a few years old, it's likely to be IDE, so don't get an external enclosure that only supports SATA drives, etc.

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
Also make sure that the case properly supports the hard drive you plan to use. If for example you are trying to use a 500GB SATA2 hard drive it may be likely that the chip in the case may be unable to support it.

Zach

Are you asking a question that contributes to this thread or making a statement that has already been established ?

Zach

Yes, I was asking you. We don't consider it polite to post unnecessary things, or repeat answers 100 times in one thread.

Not picking on you, just explaining how things work around here.
If you WERE asking a question, then remember to use question marks (?)