Let's keep improving the forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zach

This is not an official post from the Staff of EZ, this is a personal post initiated by me.

The report function is a great tool that helps us, help you. By reporting posts with spam and rule violations, you are doing your part to healthily participate in keeping the forum clean of useless spam, and violations.

However I'd like to ask that when such posts appear on the forum, you not waste your time posting in the threads. All you need do is use the report post function, and as soon as a staff member receives notification, we can take care of it.

There are obvious times when it is OK to post in some of these threads, such as when a legitimate new member makes a mistake and needs to be warned. However keep several things in mind.

The forum has moderators, it is our job to be firm with people, and show 'attitude' if necesarry. Members posting mean spirited or insulting comments about broken rules are not very necesarry, and are unwarranted. It is not your job as a member to talk down to others, or speak harshly in the same manner about similar subjects. Let us handle that, please.

Likewise, impatient attitudes with the resolution of a problem are also uncalled for. I am speaking of things such as "omg ban already" "someone please take care of this, I reported it hours ago!" or other similar comments. This is not aimed at any forum member, I am just using examples of innapropriate behavior when it comes to being respectful of the chain of events and progress on the forum.

I don't think that the requests I've made are unreasonable. As many of you know by now, I started getting very vocal about the way things are around here few months ago, after having been a member for many years. In the past I have myself, been very critical of staff and posted very blunt comments which can still be read today. However, since becomming a moderator a few months ago, I have done my best to help enforce the rules of EZ and keep our small community clean and as respectful as possible, even though I have very limited time.

I know it's easy to point to all the posts and behavior of both myself and other members in the past and ask why everyone should 'change' or not act like others have in the past, but part of moving into the future is letting go of bad parts of the past and looking forward to better, mature, acceptable ways of communication.

We still have many goofy and fun threads, such as Honka! Where anything essentially goes.. But why don't we all try to be a little better about things when posting in serious threads?

Try not to:
Go off topic - This includes sides discussions that pop up innocently. Please make a new thread or continue in Private Messages.

Be Rude - There is no need to post stuff like "you're a n00b omg that's so easy" and other obvious insults.

If you're going to curse don't make up stupid words or censors - At EZ we have a pretty open ended rule about cursing. As long as it isn't excessive we don't really care, as long as it is in context. Gratuitous or useless cursing for the sake of it is in poor taste, and shows a lack of interest in real conversation or debate in a thread.

Censoring doesn't do anything except look stupid. If you are too embarrassed to print the whole word, just use another word that means roughly the same thing. It doesn't make you look cool, or anything else when you post ugly, nonsensical crap like "@$$" "F*CK!" etc.

So please guys, when people post rom requests, or post links to roms, just be nice. Post a polite reminder, "You can't request or post ROM links here, please go read the rules" - you can hyperlink "rules" to point to them, and you can then report the post to the staff.

When someone has already posted a reply to a thread in violation of the rules DO NOT CONTINUE POSTING. Consider the issue dealt with and move on, there is no need to add more SPAM to the thread. There is no excuse to post rude remarks

DON'T BE RUDE
Internet forums constantly get new members who ask the same questions. If you know a link to the question that has the answer, feel free to post the link and kindly suggest the SEARCH function in the future.

If you think the question is stupid/retarded/a monkey could figure it out - Keep it to yourself. No one cares ,and it doesn't do anything but start arguments between members new & old alike. Just be kind, and be respectful and everyone will have a good experience.

Thank you for your time, and I hope posting this will not turn out to have been a waste of time. We'll all function better and grow tighter as a family if we keep moving on the right track to respect.

Jale

Awww, group hug! :)

Seriously. There have been a lot of new members, not only asking for ROMs, but posting ROM sites. Well, I first warn the members that it's against the rules to post ROM links and then report the post to moderators. What I can't stand are those "OMFG, HELP ME!!!", "FFXXX won't load" and the "Controllers" threads, and not to mention those pharmacy SPAM I see on every fucking forum I'm on.

So people, use the report button when seeing SPAM and ROM links.

Zach

Yeah.. I don't see other forums having problems with all these spam-bots.. I think there must be something we can do to the signup process that other forums are doing. I know there are script modifications you can make to make sure an actual human enters something.

And as for all the obessive rom questions, that goes back to what I have said about needing to establish a no-nonsense reputation for banning outright. I think our population is another issue too. We are small, thus don't have a high staff to member ration, since we don't need lots of Moderators

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah.. I don't see other forums having problems with all these spam-bots.. I think there must be something we can do to the signup process that other forums are doing. I know there are script modifications you can make to make sure an actual human enters something.

Actually the spam bots are a rather large problem in many forums. The thing is that some spam scripts have become so advanced that even image verification(Which IS the most advanced anti-spam system) won't work. Trust me, the spam we get is nothing.

What you can do is use the report button and it will be gone shortly.

Zach

I'm not talking about image verification.. It's old and outdated.. I mean registration script modification.. Like we've discussed in previous threads. "Are you human? Yes/No" type crap, etc. I know I read a way to do stuff so its hard for the bots to anticipate the variables, etc.

Jale

I wish SPAM becomes illegal in the whole world... well, in Argentina it is illegal.

-=VampyR=-

Immortal
Let's keep improving the forum....by actually answering all new posts.

Just make Butters a mod already.
He's got more time online daily (and helpful posts) than any of you so called mods.He'll clean this place of bad posts.

Personally I've seen spam threads on EZ that have not be dealt with in more than 6 hours.

"Quality Posting Standard" didn't help...what makes you think new members will give a damn about this thread ?
Zach said:
Yeah.. I don't see other forums having problems with all these spam-bots..
ROFL.
All sites have HUGE problems with spam-bots.HUGE.
Get informed about "teh interwebs".
Lefteris_D said:
Actually the spam bots are a rather large problem in many forums. The thing is that some spam scripts have become so advanced that even image verification(Which IS the most advanced anti-spam system) won't work. Trust me, the spam we get is nothing.

What you can do is use the report button and it will be gone shortly.
Finally a good reply...and something useful in this thread.

THIS forum doesn't need NEW RULES.Not even the old ones work.
It needs ACTIVITY...and people to help the new members. :thumb_up:

Oh...and if any of y'all wanna make new rules and shit...please tell Lefteris_D to step down so you can impose your own.

DO NOT delete or modify this post,I expect an answer from Lefty.At least one dude has reason here.And that's him.(And I have a pic of this post)

Cheers,people. ;)

Last edited:

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
Re: Let's keep improving the forum....by actually answering all new posts.

First of all this thread is nothing new since from time to time I always try to remind people to just use the report button.

As for picking extra moderators I have to admit that I always keep an eye open for good candidates in case we need them. The thing is that right now we have no need for that. Despite real life jobs or studies the current staff is active enough to handle things. IF I see that we require a helping hand some people will be contacted privately.

I don't plan to get into more details about that now.

Jale

Just make Butters a mod already.
He's got more time online daily (and helpful posts) than any of you so called mods.He'll clean this place of bad posts.
Thanks for that, but it's not necessary for now. Plus, I don't have much time either, because college started again :(

Also, Lefteris_D always have the final word in this matter.

EDIT: Oh, he did :p

-=VampyR=-

Immortal

Good luck with college Butters !
Eh...you have enough time to moderate this place.You are online right now.

Lefteris_D: A good (smart) reply as I would expect. :my_rambo:
Could you clone yourself and make a few Super Mods ? :D

Zach

Most of these rules are in place already, so before you go off on people about doing 'research on teh intarweb'....

Last edited:

-=VampyR=-

Immortal
Enjoy your forum...Zach

Most of these rules are in place already, kind of like the pattern of suck-up-age you are showing...
ROFL. < quality posting standard.
Try harder. :ninja:

I don't need to suck-up to anyone dude.There's only ONE dude besides us online atm,so there's NO REASON to suck up to anyone.Nothing to gain.

Merely separating the men from kids,the useful from the useless.
And Lefty's opinion was all I cared about.Curiosity.

Check: Close this thread after you submit your message.
untitledbh8.jpg

EDIT: Ninja'd.
Captured your stuff.

Jale

Good luck with college Butters !
Eh...you have enough time to moderate this place.You are online right now.
I'm still online when I log off. The online users list shows the online users every 15 minutes, I think.

-=VampyR=-

Immortal

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
What saddens me is that this thread brought forward very little good results...

*closed*

Zach

What's with the moderation options screens?

He apparently feels community activity means saying what you want and keeping everyone else from sharing their opinions.

And yes, it is quite sad the thread failed already. But it was no fault of my own.

Status
Not open for further replies.