PDA

View Full Version : Firefox Countdown To 1.0!

Lefteris_D
November 7th, 2004, 21:25
Let rhe countdown begin :D

http://s04.imagehost.org/0392/firefox-preview-product.gif

onewecallgod
November 7th, 2004, 22:23
whatever.... i'm find with .93

Lefteris_D
November 7th, 2004, 22:44
There are some security issues with 0.9.3

An upgrade will be mandatory for all Firefox users in two days.

GHDpro
November 8th, 2004, 01:11
Nothing is mandatory. They can't force anyone IMHO.

But... I do hope they've fixed the bug I've been coming accross to-many-times-to-count so far:
FireFox crashing when trying to view an image in the ImageHost.org Staff Control Panel. I mean:
this worked fine in FireFox 0.9.3, so why is 1.0 Preview so much different?

Lefteris_D
November 8th, 2004, 01:26
There are 3-4 applications where update/upgrade is considered mandatory for me and Firefox is one of them. Each new version is better, why not update?

Originally posted by GHDpro@Nov 8 2004, 03:11 AM
FireFox crashing when trying to view an image in the ImageHost.org Staff Control Panel.I preview ALOT of pictures and I have yet to find such a problem.

Focus on fixing that search page instead <_<

El Fugitivo
November 8th, 2004, 04:14
Until they give me a no-hassle way to copy all my settings, cookies, favorites, and saved passwords over to Firefox, I&#39;m sticking with Firebird .7.

Lefteris_D
November 8th, 2004, 06:48
I think you can import most of the settings.

Edit: You can use MozBackup (http://mozbackup.jasnapaka.com) to do the job.

Lefteris_D
November 9th, 2004, 19:54
As of now I&#39;m running 1.0 Final.

Things so far are doing well.

TiredBoy
November 11th, 2004, 01:59
Nice stuff. Qute&#39;s a better theme than the default, though. And it&#39;s more conventient to use than IE. Everything&#39;s in one nice window.

GHDpro
November 16th, 2004, 17:36
No problems here either, seems the "bug" I experienced with v1.0PR is gone -- I can preview
as many images as I want again without crashing.

What isn&#39;t funny is that FireFox&#39;s latest "security enhancement" killed the "preview" feature for
www.ImageHost.org. I&#39;ve had to restrict this feature to IE-only (pretty much) now. Still, no big deal.

Penguin
November 25th, 2004, 01:24
Quick question:
under: options----&#62;web features
There is a checkbox next to "allow web sites to install software". Does that mean having it check does allow it then? I&#39;m kind of thinking it&#39;s a typo, and should read "DON&#39;T allow..."

Jet Set Willy
November 25th, 2004, 01:28
Having the box checked allows Web sites to install software. How is that difficult to understand? It&#39;s not even slightly ambiguous.

Penguin
November 25th, 2004, 01:32
because of the option above it

Jale
November 25th, 2004, 01:33
I&#39;ve already downloaded Firefox, but I don&#39;t know what&#39;s the difference between Internet Explorer and Firefox... Someone tell me... What makes Firefox so special? :huh:

Penguin
November 25th, 2004, 01:36
My favorite feature is probably the tabbed browsing.

Jet Set Willy
November 25th, 2004, 02:11
Originally posted by Penguin@Nov 25 2004, 12:32 AM
because of the option above it
What? "Block popup windows"? What does that have to do with anything?

Are you talking about the BUTTON next to it marked "Allowed sites"? Don&#39;t you realise that just means you can set sites expicitly which are allowed to bypass the rules?

GHDpro
November 25th, 2004, 21:19
Originally posted by JAPPsmash@Nov 25 2004, 12:33 AM
I&#39;ve already downloaded Firefox, but I don&#39;t know what&#39;s the difference between Internet Explorer and Firefox... Someone tell me... What makes Firefox so special? :huh:
Lot&#39;s a people would probably just say "because it&#39;s not made by Microsoft".

And certainly all the bugs IE got (especially the latest problem with the iFrame exploit)
you are better of using something else.

But I also second Pengiun. Can&#39;t go without tabbed browsing these days anymore.
In fact it&#39;s my Nr. 1 annoyance when using IE -- CTRL-T doesn&#39;t do anything... :(
(CTRL-T is used to open a new tab, useful for if you want to browse several sites at the same time)

Penguin
November 27th, 2004, 04:42
nvm, got it all cleared up now :P

WellWellWell
November 27th, 2004, 18:31
I have a question. Whenever I go to a website that has adds on it the browser blocks them, right? The only problem is that a window comes up everytime saying that "the operation timed out when attemptimg to contact <website>."

What can I do to stop this?

Jet Set Willy
November 27th, 2004, 19:48
It&#39;s a problem at their end, or a connection problem (like them moving servers and the DNS records not being updated everywhere yet). It&#39;s nothing to do with your browser...

WellWellWell
November 28th, 2004, 07:08
Why does it not happen with IE then?

FireFox has a pop-up blocker, right? I think it has something to do with that. I think it blocks ads on the page as well, causing the site to tell me that it can&#39;t load the ad. I just don&#39;t know how to disable the ad blocker....

You could very well be right, though. I wouldn&#39;t want to count you out, Waz.

GHDpro
November 28th, 2004, 20:32
Afaik only pop-ups are blocked unless you install a plugin. And I do not get those
errors for any of the sites I visit where pop-ups are blocked.

Lefteris_D
November 28th, 2004, 20:48
Btw, Firefox + Java = worst combo ever...

I just had another browser crash thanks to a lame java applet.

WellWellWell
November 28th, 2004, 22:52
The only site I&#39;m having the problem with is Deviant Art (http://www.deviantart.com). Anybody else?

Edit: It seems the problem has fixed itself. I just visited Deviant Art and, much to my surprise, no annoying little pop-ups at all. I seriously didn&#39;t change any settings or anything. Whatever. Thanks anyway.