Computer Game Emulators

jammixmaster

Ok, im new here and know absolutley nothing about emulators, so i got a question. Is it possible to have an emulator on your PS2, PS3, Xbox, Xbox 360, Gamecube, or Nintendo Wii that allows you to play computer games on those systems? I know it goes the other way around, but I was just wondering.

Jale

Probably not. Never heard of emulators doing such a thing...

Again, I don't know. I may be wrong.

Dangerousd777

Dangerous D's Detector
Even if there is, They can't play PC games well, emulation is an intensive task.
To emulate a PS2, You need dual core processors. But a PS2 Probably will give you only enough CPU power to run a game that could run on a 166 Mhz computer. PS3 might be able to run a pentium 3 or 2 game. But I dont know what methods they would use to emulate PC games.

Zach

The feedback forum is not the appropriate place for this question.
I'm moving it to Misc. Emulation.
Thanks for understanding.

jammixmaster

Damn it! Thanks guys, i wasn't "in the know", technology should be so advanced by now that they have something like that out there. I dunno, maybe in Japan or Switzerland where the entire country basically lives online, those places would have computer game emulators.:D

Zach

A computer game emulator is a near impossibility for consoles. They have a hard enough time emulating other consoles, and even the newer consoles that have CPU's closer to PC's would need special ports written to make PC games work.

I suppose they might be able to run DOSBox, but that's about it. It takes too much power to fully emulate another PC, plus the operating system, plus all the hardware. For the price it would cost to build hardware capable of emulating a PC and various PC games, you could just buy several computers anyway, probably high-end at that.

TheCreator

The PlayStation 2 and 3 are capable of running Linux, although with the PS2 you won't be able to use the disk drive and uses your memory card and a hard disk, so you'll need an old PS2 model.

For the PS3, you can run Linux on that, which then you can install Windows XP on but from the video I saw on youtube, it was very slow. On the original Xbox, it is possible to run WIndows 98. The main problem is getting drivers to support the graphics hardware, so you can actually get above 16 colours, or with Windows XP, at least 3D support.

While some games to run on Linux, unless it's your ambition to play Solitaire on the Xbox, it might be more hassle than it's worth.

TheCreator

Windows CE.net 4.2 is the version that's been ported to xbox, but I don't know much about it. To run Windwos you need Bochs, Windows XP would be way too slow on the Xbox and you're better off using Windows 95/98 or linux. You will need a modded xbox.