Anti Aliasing Question.

Jale

Since I got a new video card (Radeon X1600) I've been interested in the new features, including Anti Aliasing filtering, but I see not everything is anti aliased (sprites). Look at the pic above to see what I'm talking about:

Spoiler »
antialiasingfg3.jpg

I want to know if there's a way to apply anti aliasing filter into sprites or textures with alpha channels. If there's no way, is that normal?

Zach

Probably not, unless you replace it with a higher resolution texture. It may simply be low texture. AA is nice, but it is power hungry and cannot always fix everything.

Zach

Only way to be sure is to look at the exact same spot with AA turned off and blow it up, or look for a plain visual difference. Then you'll know for sure if you simply need to get a higher resolution texture. But it seems clearly obvious it's a texture issue, as you clearly have anti-aliased imaging going on, while other things still look pixelated like a blown up image, etc.. (Mario lives remaining, Lakitu camera, etc)

Last edited:

Jale

I've done a small research and I see it's a normal thing; sprites cannot be anti-aliased, only 3D geometry.

Jale

The reason for this bump:

This could interest the pixel whores like me. To enable anti-aliasing on sprites, you must enable adaptive anti-aliasing. The impact on performance is very high, so it must be used with fast graphics cards.

TheCreator

How do you do that, I enabled it through catalyst and it didn't work, or does it need another plugin. BTW im using a radoen 9600 pro. Anti-aliasing works on solid objects still.

Jale

Sometimes it doesn't work. I don't know what's causing this, maybe it's the Catalyst driver.