Wii Homebrew?

Newbee

I know people have discussed Wii Homebrewing.

I'm really new to this, so please keep the flaming to a minimum... and I apologize if this is a no-no topic on the forums... I didn't know and a search didn't help.

I've acquired the said hardware and am trying o step into the homebrew world with SDLOAD etc. However, this is supposed to work with .dol files?

I'm not asking where to download these... but everything I have seen has been a .nes file or something else. I haven't seen any ype of file that is .dol

Will the NES emulation on the Wii (as first broken on http://www.dcemu.co.uk/) work with .nes files? If someone could PM or e-mail me and straighten out a very confused person... it would be very appreciated.

Thank you, and again... try to keep the flames to a minimum. we all have to start somewhere... :msn_shy:

soccerdude21490

hey yea, I'm currently working on this as well. You need to convert the .NES into .DOL files as far as I've heard, what emulator are you using thoguh to emulate the NES files on the Wii? Google for like "NES to DOL converter" and you beable to find it

Newbee

Is that for the virtual console by any chance?

Um... no. This is about playing whatever .dol files you may have... Gamecube games, NES games, etc. Without purchasing or playing through the virtual console.

It's done similarly to how this was done on the Gamecube, and with no modification to your Wii... so no warranty voiding.

Newbee

Cool, is this exploit/method of loading homebrew likely to be patched by nintendo in a firmware update?

Maybe. But probably not. I dont know how possible it is to do without a recall and hardware change. It just uses the same idea as was used on the gamecube. So, you're basically just using the Wii in gamecube mode. I dont know how it works.... or if a firmware update would have any effect on it.

alcoatjez

Capo di Tutti Capi
I think they will. They will want to stop everything that can possibly damage their VC sales.
Like this:

iND presents,

F-Zero.SNES-VC.NTSC.Wii-iND

Size : 3 487 808 octets
Support : SD Card / Wii
Protection : Nothing

Needed:
- Nintendo Wii
- SD Memory Card
- Saved Channel *Included*

Instructions : Access your SD card and place the file named 'private'
onto the drive. Take the card out of your system and
place it in the Wii. Navigate to your Wii memory management settings
and find the section that is labeled 'Channels'. You will find two tabs
inside, one for your Wii and the other for the SD card. Select the SD
tab and you will find the saved channel present. Copy it to your Wii
and you will be done.

If you enjoy it, purchase it yourself. Wii did!