Playing your n64 from a cd?

TchuBacha

I am the Stig
I think its the nintendo 64DD (Disc Drive). Wikipedia has a lot of information about it.

EDIT -
Theres a japanese 64DD for sale on eBay.com for $600.

Last edited:

alcoatjez

Capo di Tutti Capi
Butters said:
What the fuck???!!! Is it that expensive? :confused:

Yep, I've seem them go for more. There have been some plans on dumping/ripping the 64DD games in the past, but since they're that expensive noone would lend their stuff to someone who could rip it.

Genome

north west south west
are they basically the same as the carts? i assume that nintendo wouldnt have done much better on those games. you might as well just play n64 roms and save them on disks. same effect i think.

alcoatjez

Capo di Tutti Capi
Genome said:
are they basically the same as the carts? i assume that nintendo wouldnt have done much better on those games. you might as well just play n64 roms and save them on disks. same effect i think.

I just checked. The 64DD was a disk based system, with writable disks (not CD-ROMS!) These are the games released for the system:
* F-Zero X Expansion Kit
* Japan Pro Golf Tour 64
* Kyojin no Doshin 1
* Kyojin no Doshin: Kaihou Sensen Chibikko Chikko Daishuugou
* Mario Artist: Communication Kit
* Mario Artist: Paint Studio
* Mario Artist: Polygon Studio
* Mario Artist: Talent Studio
* Sim City 64

Jale

And not to mention they are very slow. I just read that it would take like 4 seconds to show the pause menu in Super Mario 64.

alcoatjez

Capo di Tutti Capi
Butters said:
And not to mention they are very slow. I just read that it would take like 4 seconds to show the pause menu in Super Mario 64.

Where did you read that, Butters? Isn't the N64 bypassing the 64DD when it plays a N64 only game?

Jale

I remember I read it in a Nintendo Power magazine. I forgot the number though, it was a long time ago.