Your Desktop

J

Jet Set Willy

Litestep is not a port of Afterstep, it's just a vaguely similar design. That wasn't the issue, the issue was you claiming the *nix WMs being ported to Windows, which they are not, they are simply run through a *nix emulation layer and don't offer any sort of usable desktop to the underlying Windows OS.

Don't change your post after people have replied and then post afterwards to refer to the edited post. That just makes it look like you're trying to win an argument by changing what you said after it's been refuted in a reply.

suckthismeat

look at the time of the edited post, and note that I was editing it when you replied - as I had left out that bit of the litestep matter, and if you go to the litestep webiste, they even lay claim to be partially ported from afterstep, and they mention another program, though I cant remember which...

and I am only puting it the way the cygqin guys sayed it, if they want to call it ported then as far as I am concerned it is close enough

J

Jet Set Willy

And that's your explanation for complaining about people's choice of normal desktops, is it? Software which doesn't run natively and doesn't integrate with the system (which is the entire purpose of a shell)?

I mentioned the editing thing because what you edited into your message is related to what I replied with, and it's 2 minutes after I made my post. You then complain about me not paying attention to what you'd edited in. That still stinks of foul play.

suckthismeat

Hey alright, I am going to be honest, I came across Cygwin recently, and havent had time to download KDE or gnome yet to see how well that part works, I have however been using litestep for sometime now and love it, windows is more stable and I have my familar linux look and feel to it....

normally I would have just come in here sayin why the fuck you guys using XP when Gentoo is faster and more stable.....

So which would you rather hear?

I thought that Cygwin was a full port.... as I am on Dialup, I wont be able to test out any of it for a few more days (until Icewm is done downloading) then ill know for sure how it acts on my shit.

But I dont see a point in just running Cygwin as an application.... I hope it does more.

J

Jet Set Willy

Okay, it's fine that you didn't know that, I'm just irritated in the arrogant way you complained at people for something you clearly don't use yourself.

Cygwin basically just gives you a faux-Unix style system where the programs are compiled natively for Windows, but reside in the Cygwin directory. Where the programs would normally call 'nix libs, they are refered to Windows DLLs. It's only really any use for isolated things.

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
Gentoo is just a Linux distro. I personally Like Red Hat and Mandrake better as they are the only real distributions I tried(besides live cd's and some other minor distro).

I am not against Linux and I do use it.

suckthismeat

I clearly DONT because I havent finnished it yet.... then I WILL - IF it works better than Litestep.

I am just amazed at how LITTLE people really do customize their desktops..... thats all I was getting at, those pics where of the default WinXP theme, and a different background, although it is interesring to note that 2 of them in particualr had the mozilla firebird icon on the desktop.....

But that is all I am getting at, There are MANY applications to change your desktop, and I see that no one has....

suckthismeat

Originally posted by Lefteris_D@Jan 2 2004, 05:52 AM
Gentoo is just a Linux distro. I personally Like Red Hat and Mandrake better as they are the only real distributions I tried(besides live cd's and some other minor distro).

I am not against Linux and I do use it.
I only like gentoo because it is oprimized for my system in a way that nothing else does, everything is built to fit my processor, and applications that I want are installed not the things I dont want or need...

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
I personally use Mozilla as well and I patched my uxtheme.dll to use unsigned themes. I'll post a screenshot sometime today.

J

Jet Set Willy

You're not very convincing, meat.

Your point about using other desktops still isn't valid. As discussed, none of the WMs designed for other platforms work as intended on Windows, and LiteStep isn't really very good.

Oh, Mr. Optimised Gentoo User - perhaps you'd like to share your compiler flags with us all so we can learn from your experience?

*cough*

suckthismeat

you know, it appears you argue with everyone in EVRY thread on here..... mabey people suggesting other options isnt the problem but the fuckin retard on the other end.

But yes, I do use litestep with my win98 box, and XP on this machine(guess what it dual boots)

and when you can run the same game under 2 different platforms and see between 25 and 40 FPS difference, then criticize the use of Gentoo

J

Jet Set Willy

Ah, skirting around the question completely, and then trying to hide it by quoting some nonsense 'benchmark', a particularly naive thing to do considering the abstraction involved with the drivers required for games.

I'm not criticising Gentoo, it's a fine distribution. I'm criticising you, because I think you are a liar. I KNOW that you have no idea what you're talking about. Nothing you say can get you out of that hole.

I do argue with the stupid people. You're inferior and your disablity seriously puts a damper on my own existence. I shouldn't suffer for your shortcomings.

suckthismeat

Originally posted by WazWaz@Jan 2 2004, 06:37 AM
Ah, skirting around the question completely, and then trying to hide it by quoting some nonsense 'benchmark', a particularly naive thing to do considering the abstraction involved with the drivers required for games.

I'm not criticising Gentoo, it's a fine distribution. I'm criticising you, because I think you are a liar. I KNOW that you have no idea what you're talking about. Nothing you say can get you out of that hole.

I do argue with the stupid people. You're inferior and your disablity seriously puts a damper on my own existence. I shouldn't suffer for your shortcomings.
ok asshole, Of the only 3 relevant lines (only 3 are uncommented anyways)

CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-O3 -march-athlon-xp -pipe"
Accept keywords="~x86"

Gentoo kernel build 2.4.20-2 gaming build modified to allow Adaptec 2940 Scsi-3 controller plus the nvidia kernel patch for the FX5200

so know that you have the make.conf, would you like my make.globals, or how about the entire package list that is installed?

--edited the model number on the scsi card--

J

Jet Set Willy

Well Googled.

Hadn't you better run off and boast in some other topic? There are so many other open source tools you haven't blatantly listed yet! You could do with the typing practise. Sentences have punctuation in them these days, haven't you heard? The future is now.

suckthismeat

hey check this out, -O3 IS in the flags list, So is -Pipe, and March !

" Athlon XP (AMD)

CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-march=athlon-xp -O3 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
CXXFLAGS="-march=athlon-xp -O3 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer" "

Please note that those are freehackers.org recomendations. I use what I will, and either way, mine is STILL better suited to my cpu and my needs. Let me see Windows generic amd cpu suuport, or Mandrakes Generic i686 support VS. direct Athlon-xp support....take your pick

- and also note that in my case the CXXFLAGS line is NOT needed. but tell you what, I will get some Desktop screenshots PROVING that I use what I claim I have been using, Will that sufice?

Oh, and its about time you started making more sense, that last post was VERY vauge.

Do you like my punctuation this time? Huh? is my litle wazwaz feeling better now?

J

Jet Set Willy

Yeah, because even when you try really hard to type everything properly, it's still unreadable tripe.

I think you're a bit dim, and I shan't talk to you.

suckthismeat

IS that the BEST insult you can come up with?

look, if you want to see confusing look at this: "Well Googled.

Hadn't you better run off and boast in some other topic? There are so many other open source tools you haven't blatantly listed yet"

and your site only supported what I had listed. man gcc will give a longer list of options, and how/when to use such options as well.

But its all good, as long as you won't talk to me, then mabey ppl will see the purpose for the posts and not hunt for stupid shit like punctuation or cflags

ScotchGuy

Board Addict
There was nothing confusing about Waz's previous post, I am positive you have comprehension problems.

This is confusing, "mabey ppl".