What are some safe emulators that I can download?

ozunasawai4

I've been to a couple emulator websites but haven't downloaded any on account of me being skeptical. What are some good quality and safe ones that you guys use?

pix07

For windows orginal author site.

Like : byuu snes, fhorse punes etc..

Other way is trusted page is zophar.net.

Also trusted page is here :

https://www.emulator-zone.com/

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Always download from a reputable places or the authors website as piz078 said. In some cases even the authors file has infections, pj64 v2 was accused of that.

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
PJ64 was not really "infected", it was just bundled with promotional software for monetary reasons.

And funnily enough that triggered many online virus scanners.

ozunasawai4

I've been to a couple emulator websites but haven't downloaded any on account of me being skeptical. What are some good quality and safe ones that you guys use?
I played through almost all of Super Mario Sunshine using an Xbox 360 controller and Dolphin, and I only encountered 1 bug with the textures on some of the slime that appears on some floors. It is still very playable. Dolphin is really an incredible piece of software, very polished. Do note, that Dolphin can use a considerable amount of resources, and you will need a pretty high spec computer to run it and get decent frames.

chaosblade02

If they try to funnel you through a gauntlet of advertising pages, they're probably not legit. That's true for just about anything else on the internet as well, with few exceptions. Showing skepticism when faced with that type of situation is logical. Every legit emulator has a home page, and it's not hard to discern a real one from a fake one. Remember, ads and malware are specifically directed at stupid people. Not people who possess a modicum of common sense.

All these emulators are legit, and they all have home pages that aren't fake. (not a complete list of legit emulators, just my recommendations)

PCSX2 (PS2)
Cemu (Wii-U)
Dolphin (Gamecube/Wii)
RPCS3 (PS3)
PPSSPP (PSP)
Citra (3DS)
Retroarch (Multiple systems, with different cores for each, I use this for the older systems, or systems not listed above)

If you have at (minimum) a first gen AMD Ryzen CPU, or any Intel CPU that's 4th gen (haswell) or newer, all of the above run at full speed. Paired with a low-mid range GPU from 3 years ago will work just fine. I got another PC rig that has an AMD R9 390 GPU in it, and that is more than sufficient for emulation. Even at 4k upscaled (90%+ of games). That's a mid-range GPU from 2014-15.

Last edited:

GASIYAT

Banned
Always download from a reputable places or the authors website as piz078 said. In some cases even the authors file has infections, pj64 v2 was accused of that.

Last edited:

hwd191

Download only form the official websites ir from the reputable resources. It is the best way if you want to avoid any problems with viruses and malware. If you are not sure in the source where you are going to download the emulator from you can alswys use any free malware removal to protect the system. The list of emulators you can find above in chaosblade02 post.

punchheroes

or, sorry. I've seen that I must answer the question first or tell my opinion. I think that there is no matter where you downloads but you must remember about protecting your computer and data with the help of antivirus software and you can read more about this importance on numerous resources. In any case, you should better choose the official website, and the risk of getting some viruses zero is equal to zero but there are chances when people infected their PCs after downloading official software and to be honest, it is hard to explain. emulator-zone.com is also a trusted website. I think you can use it without any worries and if something wrong you can always write on this forum.

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
That is correct, regardless of where you download things from, always check for viruses.

Noir61

If they try to funnel you through a gauntlet of advertising pages, they're probably not legit. That's true for just about anything else on the internet as well, with few exceptions. Showing skepticism when faced with that type of situation is logical. Every legit emulator has a home page, and it's not hard to discern a real one from a fake one. Remember, ads and malware are specifically directed at stupid people. Not people who possess a modicum of common sense.

All these emulators are legit, and they all have home pages that aren't fake. (not a complete list of legit emulators, just my recommendations)

PCSX2 (PS2)
Cemu (Wii-U)
Dolphin (Gamecube/Wii)
RPCS3 (PS3)
PPSSPP (PSP)
Citra (3DS)
Retroarch (Multiple systems, with different cores for each, I use this for the older systems, or systems not listed above)

If you have at (minimum) a first gen AMD Ryzen CPU, or any Intel CPU that's 4th gen (haswell) or newer, all of the above run at full speed. Paired with a low-mid range GPU from 3 years ago will work just fine. I got another PC rig that has an AMD R9 390 GPU in it, and that is more than sufficient for emulation. Even at 4k upscaled (90%+ of games). That's a mid-range GPU from 2014-15.
PS3 emulator mentioned in it, RPCS3, is it working emulator? i tried many emulators for PS3, but always dead end....i have played god of war 1 & 2 many times...now i want to complete its 3 part, but the platform is the problem...can't buy PS3 for it. did anyone played it on PC using any emulator.?

pix07

@christkenddy Depends of game genre which you prefer.

All arcade games are most used by FBNeneo or Kawaks or MAME.

Because those are mostly for windows you need retroarch on android with proper core.