New Camputers Lynx Emulator (on Windows)

jynx_emulator

Hi old-computer-emulator fans!

I've recently released a new emulator "Jynx", which emulates the Camputers Lynx microcomputer on MS-Windows.

The Lynx was a British micro that was released in the early 1980s. It didn't have buckets of support, but it was my first computer.

Jynx has gone through a few revisions now, and is reasonably stable, and runs pretty much all of the tapes (TAP files) you can find on-line. I've posted articles announcing the releases, on my blog (address below), along with short articles presenting the Lynx a bit.
http://jynxemulator.wordpress.com

(I hope you guys don't mind putting the address back together - I don't have enough posts yet!).

The software is open-source, with code available on GitHub -- see blog for link.

Also I should say - I've been pretty lucky that it has picked up momentum: Craig Anderson and Brolly on the hyperspin-fe forum, have been busy building a HyperSpin front-end for this. If you like games, and are into computer emulation, be sure to check out their forum.

Thanks, and happy emulating!

Jonathan. :D

Last edited by a moderator:

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Link fixed, congratulations on your progress.

Robert

Sounds good. I downloaded the release from your site and attempted to run it, but it says its not a valid Win32 application. (This is the 32-bit build on a 32-bit computer running windows 2000). Any chance of a recompile? Or is there a minimum platform requirement? The readme doesn't say.

Last edited:

jynx_emulator

Hi Robert

Sorry for the late reply.

I do know that Brolly on Hyperspin-fe tested the 32-bit version on Windows XP, and drew my attention to the fact that it didn't work. This turned out to be a Microsoft problem, which I could fix by changing settings on Visual Studio. Since then, the 32-bit version releases should be OK on XP at least -- he has it working, I believe!

I have no idea if that will run on Windows 2000.

Jonathan.

Robert

I've since heard from others that it works on XP, however it doesn't work on Win2000.
Maybe you could include a list of supported platforms in your readme, in time for the next release.
I've been reading your progress on your blog.

jynx_emulator

Thanks for reading the blog!
I would like to include a list of supported platforms, the problem is - I don't have access to every version of Windows to see what works, and what doesn't!

nour

Hi old-computer-emulator fans!

I've recently released a new emulator "Jynx", which emulates the Camputers Lynx microcomputer on MS-Windows.

The Lynx was a British micro that was released in the early 1980s. It didn't have buckets of support, but it was my first computer (Mini Militia App Lock 7Zip).

Thanks, and happy emulating!

Jonathan. :D

You got me on the name,
Lynx is a text based web browser, it runs in the console.
Its largey used by sysadmins because its fast, simple, small and secured (it does not run Javascript, Flash and other fancy things).

KAISY

Thankyou!

And thanks for fixing the link too...

Jynx has gone through a few revisions now, and is reasonably stable, and runs pretty much all of the tapes (TAP files) you can find on-line. I've posted articles announcing the releases, on my blog (address below), along with short articles presenting the Lynx a bit.

KAISY

Jynx has gone through a few revisions now, and is reasonably stable,Jynx hasmy ip birthday wishes tneb through a few revisions now, and is reasonably stable, and runs pretty much all of the tapes (TAP files) you can find on-line. I've posted articles announcing the releases, on my blog (address below), along with short articles presenting the Lynx a bit.
and runs pretty much all of the tapes (TAP files) you can find on-line. I've posted articles announcing the releases, on my blog (address below), along with short articles presenting the Lynx a bit.

Last edited:

DisneyRob

I have been trying to get this to work on my system, maybe you can help.
If I run the 32 bit, it will start , but it will not play any game I load.
If I try to run it on 64 bit, it says I am missing the five bios files.
I figure both issues must center around the bios files.... Any thoughts?

mrgolf

Would you be able to help me get this working on my system?
It starts 32 bit, but does not play any game I load.
On 64 bit, it says I'm missing five bios files.
I think both issues involve the bios... Ideas?

mryeezy

Is it possible for you to help me?
No game plays when I load 32 bit.
It says five bios files are missing.
There must be a bios issue... Any ideas?