Problem with mame (black screen)

rakun

I have been playing the last few days with my very old pc (PIII 550, 256mb, i740 graphics) and i have installed mame 0.84 on it and found some compatible roms for that version and using some old version of mala frontend.
I have problems with some games (king of dragons, cadilacs and dinosurs, sf...), the games dont start, it just shows black screen and the monitor goes on standby, no sound is played. After I press ESC it turns back to mala. Other games like 1943, raiden, metal slug run fine, even mortal combat starts but it goes very slow (but it sill starts normally). The roms are good, tried them on my newer PCs with the same version of mame and mala and they run ok.
Any help would be appreciated.

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
what mame version are you using, you may wan to us 0.90 or less for that cpu. Mind you, you must also get .90 roms.

rakun

Im using 0.84 version and mala 104. As I said, roms are for 0.84 version and are working all perfectly on my newer PCs with 0.84 vesion of mame. I cant understand why some games work on old pc and some wont even load.

rakun

Yes, the newer PCs are both AMD. Ill try to change the GPU and see what happens if no one else had the same experience. i740 is a realy bad GPU.

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
There should be a mame download and a mame amd download or maybe 6x86 ) download. I forget but if you have a amd the amd download are optimized for that chip and the normal mame down load is optimized for intel. Not sure it will fix the issue but its all I can think of.

this should be the 84 build for intel.

Last edited:

rakun

I did, but i dont see any mame.exe or something like that to start the emulator, just a bunch of strange files, nothing like a standard mame download.

rakun

It didnt solve the problem but thanks for the effort. I bought a used ATI Rage 128 Pro, should arrive in 2 days and hopefully should solve my problem.

KAISY

do what? Its a zip file man, un zip it? I dont understand what you mean..

I have problems with some games (king of dragons, cadilacs and dinosurs, sf...), the games dont start, it just shows black screen and the monitor goes on standby, no sound is played. After I press ESC it turns back to mala. Other games like 1943, raiden, metal slug run fine, even mortal combat starts but it goes very slow (but it sill starts normally

KAISY

I have problems with some games (king of dragons, audacity find my iphone origin cadilacs and dinosurs, sf...), the games dont start, it just shows black screen and the monitor goes on standby, no sound is played. After I press ESC it turns back to mala. Other games like 1943, raiden, metal slug run fine, even mortal combat starts but it goes very slow (but it sill starts normally

do what? Its a zip file man, un zip it? I dont understand what you mean..

ninoPlay27

Im using 0.84 version and mala 104. As I said, roms are for 0.84 version and are working all perfectly on my newer PCs with 0.84 vesion of mame. I cant understand why some games work on old pc and some wont even load.
I did, but i dont see any mame.exe or something like that to start the emulator, just a bunch of strange files, nothing like a standard mame download.

denimkaty

Yes, the newer PCs are both AMD. Ill try to change the GPU and see what happens if no one else had the same experience. i740 is a realy bad GPU.

the games dont start, it just shows black screen and the monitor goes on Sarkari Result Pnr Status 192.168.l.l standby, no sound is played. After I press ESC it turns back to mala. Other games like 1943, raiden, metal slug run fine, even mortal combat starts but it goes very slow (but it sill starts normally). The roms are good, tried them on my newer PCs with the same version of mame and mala and they run ok.

Last edited: