Emulators vs the real deal

Caide

I recently downloaded the Project64 emulator (with high resolution packs) to mainly play Zelda: OoT and Majora's Mask, as I no longer have an N64, and maybe play some others like Super Mario 64 or something if I feel like it. I realized that I should also buy an N64 controller and adapter to get the full experience of the N64, but after searching I see that the most commonly used one might not work on vista (which I have) and is very buggy, and the 'Adaptoid' which support rumble, is no longer in production, and costs upwards of $100+ used.

I found a couple other kinds of adapters:

http://tinyurl.com/lx34uv

and

http://www.4triangles.com/catalog/dual-usb-adapter-for-n64-controller-nintendo-64-to-pc-p-28.html

However, I'm not sure how good these are or if they support rumble (probably not).

Another option I could do is to simply buy an N64 system+one controller for like $25-30, and buy the two Zelda games for approx $15-20 each, but it gets kind of expensive if I want to play other games (I'd probably just use the emulator to play any other games). With this route, I would hook my N64 up to my television, which is obviously a lot bigger than my computer monitor, and I would have rumble in this case.

Summing the two options up:

If I go with the emulator, it's approx $45 (one controller+adapter), and isn't as reliable as the real deal (could stop working mid-game or something and not be able to finish it, and I won't have rumble which I'm worried is important to feel immersed.

If I go with the actual N64, it's approx $70 (one controller, N64, 2 games, rumble pak), and is very reliable. I would be playing it on a big screen (TV) and the rumble pak for further immersion, but the quality wouldn't be as good without the high resolution packs (that I have with the emulator).

So, this leads me to ask two questions:

1. How important do you feel the rumble pak is to The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask?

2. What would you do (emulator vs N64)?

Thanks!

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
after searching I see that the most commonly used one might not work on vista
- If you buy a Ned based adapter it will work fine with Vista. This is the type based off of Neds original design. However I dont recommend it as some have issue with jumpy buttons on some n64 controllers. The adapters I make are based off of Raphs design and they are perfect. No rumble support is available other then the adaptoid as you thought. I'm also 99% sure they wont work on vista.

it's approx $45 (one controller+adapter)
I think this is a bit off.
-->N64<-- are cheep. Even cheaper if you wait for the right auction. Here is a Ned based n64 adapter Yes it does have issues with some n64 controller. but you could spend more and bug me or Ralph and get a n64 and GC adapter in one, with no jumpy button issues.

How important do you feel the rumble pak is to The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask?
- I have use emulation to play and beet OOT, MM, wind waker and twilight princess all with out rumble. I never saw a need for it.

What would you do (emulator vs N64)?
- Your a going to get a bit of a biased answer on a emulation board, but I always choose emulation over the real thing. Just more options, and when I was young I could leave my console out on the floor for a quick break, now I have f5 and f7 ;)

Last edited:

Zach

Also using a real console on a large TV you are likely to not get as clean a picture as you might remember if you used to play on a smaller screen.

With emulators, you have options to scale the size, as well as add filters and that kind of stuff as long as your hardware can handle it. You can get a higher resolution which means things will render very crisp and clean, and probably look a lot better than a straight console to TV in low res.. Ideally though this probably means a mid range to high end video card, outputting to an HDTV (Rear Projection Tube, or LCD) in at least 480p connecting with R/G/B RCA cables (not the single yellow composite, or s-video), DVI cable, or HDMI cable.

Combine your PC with TV out to a TV and you get the bonus of higher resolutions and filtering, and the large TV with no issues like grainy picture, etc you would get with the real thing.

I always advocate playing on the real thing if you like it, and can afford to do so, but emulators are a nice trade off if the particular game is running well in general, on your hardware, and has little to no major bugs.

When I first got my PSX for my 15th birthday, I hooked it up to an old Apple II Monitor I had, using the standard composite RCA (yellow video cable) and although the trade off was a small screen (10" or less I believe) the picture was incredibly crisp and very clean compared to watching other peoples games on their standard size or large TVs. I am definitely hoping that one day PSX/N64 etc emulation will be almost top notch, with practically 100% compatibility and virtually no bugs evident during gameplay. Because playing in a high res on the PC is the only experience that has ever compared to my old Apple ][ Monitor.

Last edited:

Caide

I feel like I'm going to be too tempted to cheat if I have the option (on the emulator), and that just defeats the purpose and makes me not want to play.

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
I feel like I'm going to be too tempted to cheat if I have the option (on the emulator), and that just defeats the purpose and makes me not want to play.
Oh this is normal to feel. All you need to do is set up you emulator with video out and sit on the couch. the inability for a person to actually "get off" off his/he ass largely out weights the need to cheat, thus you wont ;)

In other words if your not in front of a keyboard you wont cheat.. Play it like ti was meant to be plaid...

Last edited: