fce ultra trojan horse question

majax79

When I tried to access fce ultra, AVG popped up and said trojan horse, Dropper.Agent.GNP

I downloaded the fce ultra from emulator-zone. Does anyone know what I can do?

majax79

Nesticle or Nestopia doesn't give me the same error.

It's weird though because I've played like 40 games and it was working fine last night. AVG auto updates in the morning.

Last edited:

majax79

I did download and unzip the source files from fce ultra but it seems confusing on how to install without an exe file.

Why would avg say that fceu.exe has a trojan after using the same file for months now?

I get a win xp error popup even if I turn off avg "windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item."

Last edited:

ohnoihavenoname

Same happened here. Had it installed and working fine for almost a year, and today AVG detected that trojan. It must have been sleeping until today.

majax79

I'm glad i'm not the only one to have this problem. So, where does that link on emulator zone for fceu download from? Someone should be notified about this so they can look into it.

I liked fce because I could click f5 or f7 to save or load state but I guess I can configure that with any emulator.

Jale

Most modern antivirus programs use an heuristic technique for virus detection. Even though FCE Ultra is not a virus, it may have a similar code of a virus and that's why AVG detects it as a threat.

This heuristic technique is there to prevent infections of unknown or new viruses.

majax79

Why would it detect it after months of use though? A new virus definition in updated in avg?

Is there anyway around it?

ohnoihavenoname

If it were a heuristics thing, it wouldn't have detected it for two different people on the same day after months/years of being installed and used. Nothing in FCEU should be programmed to change (and run) on a specific date. It's an infection.

majax79

Now, I've gotta find someone with a save state on all the dragon warriors and final fantasy because I am not getting all my people to 9,999,999 again. That took me 2 weeks.

I still have the save states from fce in a folder but I don't think there is anyway to transfer them to nestopia.

majax79

Ok, I used this website http://virusscan.jotti.org/
which has a bunch of different well known virus scanners to take a look at fceu.exe

Here's what was found:

A-Squared Found nothing
AntiVir Found nothing
ArcaVir Found Trojan.Dropper.Agent.Dmj
Avast Found nothing
AVG Antivirus Found nothing
BitDefender Found nothing
ClamAV Found nothing
CPsecure Found Troj.Dropper.W32.Agent.dmj
Dr.Web Found nothing
F-Prot Antivirus Found nothing
F-Secure Anti-Virus Found Trojan-Dropper.Win32.Agent.dmj
Fortinet Found W32/Agent.DMJ!tr
Ikarus Found Trojan-Dropper.Win32.Agent.dmj
Kaspersky Anti-Virus Found Trojan-Dropper.Win32.Agent.dmj
NOD32 Found nothing
Norman Virus Control Found W32/Agent.DUEY
Panda Antivirus Found nothing
Rising Antivirus Found nothing
Sophos Antivirus Found Mal/Generic-A
VirusBuster Found nothing
VBA32 Found Trojan-Dropper.Win32.Agent.dmj

So, has anyone tested this fceu.exe before it was put up on the site? I think it's an issue that should be addressed because I'd like to know what the deal is.

After updating for a few days, avg doesn't detect my new downloaded fceu.exe file which is good but couldn't it just be a new trojan that hasn't been activated yet?

Last edited:

Zach

If you got a trojan it is very unlikely the infection came from a downloaded file..

The simple fact is false positives are nothing with with many anti-virus programs, especially those who rely on hueristics.

AV programs have limited judgement skills, when it sees a piece of code that LOOKS like it could be part of a malicious program, it doesn't know any better than to warn you.. Say some mexican dude broke into your car, and now you have this irrational fear and become suspicious every time you see any mexican person.

That's pretty much how your AV program works when it makes a false positive.

You should be able to download a compiled executable file off of FCE Ultra's main site though, I'm not sure how you ended up with uncompiled source unless you became confused and used the wrong download link.

Development has gone whack and personally I think it's dead. It's not really clear who is maintaining it anymore, and wikipedia lists several different web sites.

You won't find any really recent versions, so I'd just get the last official release and use that, or look for an unofficial one that looks legit.

The only real way to test if you have a trojan is to download a trojan scanner, and also a program that monitors when programs wants to make changes to your registry by adding keys, and also when they want to open connections to the internet.