snes, nes adapter and controller questions

majax79

Hello,

Could someone recommend a snes controller to usb adapter and can someone tell me where I can check to get an original SNES controller? I'm assuming those controllers are of better quality than the new, released ones.

Also, could someone recommend a brand for a NES controller to usb adapter?

Can't wait to play my games the old fashioned way, lol.

Thanks.

kandarian

Lumine Infinite
I've heard about ps2 controllers with usb adapters, but never SNES :/ Sadly enough, nes aren't produced anymore, neither are SNES, so i don't think you can get one :( But try searching the net, maybe you'll find one :)

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
Or you could simply use a Playstation 2 controller since the button layout is identical to that on a Snes pad, and there are loads of cheap USB adapters to use them with a PC.

Desert Drifter

Out From Under A Rock..
Hello,

Could someone recommend a snes controller to usb adapter and can someone tell me where I can check to get an original SNES controller? I'm assuming those controllers are of better quality than the new, released ones.

Also, could someone recommend a brand for a NES controller to usb adapter?

Can't wait to play my games the old fashioned way, lol.

Thanks.

Not sure about the USB adapter, though you could find an actual SNES controller on EBay, though might need a Paypal account... ;) Don't think they made an adapter for that type of controller, though they did for systems after (N64, etc.) Might be in a jam here pal, but look around for ya and see...

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member

majax79

Thanks for the link. I bought one from ebay tonight. Now, I'll try and find a real snes controller. I heard those new ones were really poorly made.

spotanjo3

try game cube controller because it is awesome and for me it is easy to use on any emulators rather than too many controllers for different emulators.

I can use it for snes, nes, n64 (a must because of many buttons and it have no problem ;)), ps2, nds, gba, and mame.

Desert Drifter

Out From Under A Rock..
Now, I'll try and find a real snes controller. I heard those new ones were really poorly made.
Yeah, remember those turbo SNES controllers, always quit on me, but after buying five of those and end up throwing them out, still have the two original controllers. Might be your best bet, those flat and small ones that came with the system, but always reliable. ;)

RockmanForte: Yeah, Gamecube controllers seems to be a favorite lately, might try that ideal, use it for all the emulators (SNES & N64). Still can buy them and never quit on ya, unlike the PC ones and actual N64 ones, which seem to last barely a year until they get alinment & short problems...

spotanjo3

Desert Drifter,

you can find an adapter for gc, xbox, ps2 all in one adapter at wal mart for only 10 dollars. I did! :D

Desert Drifter

Out From Under A Rock..
Desert Drifter,

you can find an adapter for gc, xbox, ps2 all in one adapter at wal mart for only 10 dollars. I did! :D

Yeah, good luck with that at the one I go to. Not very happy with them right now, hypocrites of the community of hellhole Arizona. :p

BTW: what's the adapter ya got? see a few out there but not sure what's best, a cave-man lately. :p

spotanjo3

Yeah, good luck with that at the one I go to. Not very happy with them right now, hypocrites of the community of hellhole Arizona. :p

BTW: what's the adapter ya got? see a few out there but not sure what's best, a cave-man lately. :p

Universal USB Convertor
Gamemon
3 Players

Accept:
Windows Vista, Xp, 2000, ME, 98

This is best one! Plug and ready to play! :D

majax79

Does the super smartjoy work for the nes controller as well? If not, does anyone have a recommendation for a nes controller to usb adapter?

Desert Drifter

Out From Under A Rock..
Does the super smartjoy work for the nes controller as well? If not, does anyone have a recommendation for a nes controller to usb adapter?

It should as long as it has drivers for it... See there's two different adapters... Never know until ya try, guess my best bet for using a gamecube controller... They say plug & play, but doesn't mean crap on certain "pain-in-the-@$$" pcs. :p

Last edited:

spotanjo3

Be carefully that drivers can be annoying. I dont buy adapter that came with drivers because I did and always have a problem and this one I am having I mentioned is awesome and perfectly for ANY EMULATORS!!! :D

P.S. I thanks Zach for telling me about it at Wal-Marts and that's how I ran there to grab before it was sold and it did! Whew! I will check there to see if it is restock or gone for good.

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
The cheapest is this one..

http://shop.raphnet.net/products/4nes4snes/

but you have to solder a few points..

Smart joy will work the nes but you again had to solder a few point, if you need the pin out ill be happy to supply it.

And like RockmanForte said. Never Never Never use a driver with an adapter, unless you want special features besides pushing buttons (e.i. saving on n64). These controllers should all be HID's and work on the fly.

Desert Drifter

Out From Under A Rock..
The cheapest is this one..

http://shop.raphnet.net/products/4nes4snes/

but you have to solder a few points..

Smart joy will work the nes but you again had to solder a few point, if you need the pin out ill be happy to supply it.

And like RockmanForte said. Never Never Never use a driver with an adapter, unless you want special features besides pushing buttons (e.i. saving on n64). These controllers should all be HID's and work on the fly.

Ah, soldering fun, eh? Remember doing this with a couple of audio wires and soldering them together with speakers wires so I can use a pair of subwoofers without connection to a receiver and to a TV audio jack instead. Soldering isn't for everyone, especially of amateurs.... ;)

Drivers? Hey, I had a 486 PC from 97 to 2000 and upgraded to a modified PI 246 (My first creation - great monster for a couple of years...) until 2006, so I know that drivers are a must for most PCs, otherwise, it won't work. Yeah, I agree, it should work on the "fly", but doesn't. I have a PIII 866 now, but Windows 2000 is a pain, while my last PCs used Windows 98 and had less driver problems. Thought it was bad back then... (Why I spelled @$$, meaning: the almighty dollar coming out the backside. A surfer dude friend of mine started this back in 97 on our community... Actually spelled: @.$.$, though not going to spell it out for ya, younger readers here... :p)

Anyway, can't find that adapter RockmanForte, anywhere else I can actually find it? Ebay doesn't list that, but some others that are "questionable". Thanks Wal-Mart man. :p

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Ah, soldering fun, eh? Remember doing this with a couple of audio wires and soldering them together with speakers wires so I can use a pair of subwoofers without connection to a receiver and to a TV audio jack instead. Soldering isn't for everyone, especially of amateurs....
- ah spoken like a true novas. Na your rights its not for every one.

Drivers? Hey, I had a 486 PC from 97 to 2000 and upgraded to a modified PI 246 (My first creation - great monster for a couple of years...) until 2006, so I know that drivers are a must for most PCs, otherwise, it won't work. Yeah, I agree, it should work on the "fly", but doesn't. I have a PIII 866 now, but Windows 2000 is a pain, while my last PCs used Windows 98 and had less driver problems. Thought it was bad back then... (Why I spelled @$$, meaning: the almighty dollar coming out the backside. A surfer dude friend of mine started this back in 97 on our community... Actually spelled: @.$.$, though not going to spell it out for ya, younger readers here... )
- Wel yes for any os that is before XP or Or from the 2000+ days. You may need a driver. But I have tried just about every controler out ther for usb, and built a had full my self. All the USB chips are programed to use HID. If you are asked to install a driver, I would suggests try with out first.