Light guns - which ones work?

Kerosene

I'm looking at getting a light gun to play Duck Hunt etc... hopefully something that will work with as many different emulators as possible AND also with my PlayStation2.

I'm using an old 68cm CRT TV as the display (for PS2 and the emus) - so I don't need a gun that supports LCD/plasma.

Will the GunCon2 work (using the Windows drivers)?
Which light guns should I consider buying?
How many emulators actually support light guns?

(this is my first post here BTW) :)

Last edited:

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
Hi, welcome to the boards.

The LCD Topgun works with just about all emulators and games and any type of display. It tracks in real time and features recoil and laser sights (which can both be turned on and off) along with enough buttons and a POV hat to make it usable with pretty much any game. It is the most accurate solution on the market at the moment allowing pixel perfect aiming.

The downside is that you will need to be between 5' and 7' away dependent on the size of the TV because it uses an LED array and they can be a pain to set up initially.

I have two of these and in terms of functionality, accuracy and compatibility they are the best lightguns I've ever used.

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
Yes. The LED bars are what the gun uses to track its movement which is why it works with any kind of display, its a very similar principal to the motion controller in the Nintendo Wii. It tracks in real time so you can even set it as a mouse and use it to move your mouse pointer around windows.

The LED strips can either be mounted vertically or horizontally directly on your TV/Monitor case, or you can use the stands and simply stand them to either side. They don't actually emit any visible light so once they are mounted you don't really notice they are there.

Zach

Dude... I had no idea a gun like that existed... That's awesome...

Would that kind of thing work with MAME emulated stuff?

... Revolution X hehe!

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
Works with every gun game I've tried it with on mame including Op Wolf, Point Blank, T2, and some others. It really is awesome.
As I said the only drawback is you need to be a certain distance away for all the LED's in the strips to see the gun to enable accurate tracking, which can be an issue if you mame in a space limited environment. I found about 6' was optimum.
It beats the sh*t out of the old Act Labs guns and with the current $ to £ exchange rate its an absolute bargain in UK money.

Other than that it really is pixel perfect. As I said before, you can even use it instead of a mouse with windows and track the arrow around the screen in real time, and open files by shooting them......useless, but fun all the same. :D

Last edited:

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
Clicking on the link in my first post links to Play-aisa where I bought mine from. Prices are good and shipping is fast and reliable.